Prepped for surgery and sent home

Posted , 6 users are following.

My husband rushed yet again to A&E around 6am yesterday with acute abdominal pain, already knowing ive cysts on both ovaries and being on a 18 week waiting list (at another hospital)

Within 2 hours i was sent via ambulance to a different hosiptal where they have a gynae ward. I was given 2 lots of oral morphine and paracetamol. After another scan it showed that the smallest cyst is now measuring 14x9x11 its a big difference from 4cm when i was first diagnosed. I was put on a drip and left nil by mouth while waiting for another consultant. At 6pm she came back and said i was the first to down for surgery this morning.

This morning I was prepped ready in gown, stockings and already taken medication. She came to me around 9.30am asked a few questions, prodded at my stomach and said the sugery was cancelled because i wasnt in as much pain and hadnt had any pain relief over night.  As i was first diagnosed last july ive learnt to control the pain and not take as many pain killers unless in desparate need.

By 1.30pm i was sent home. To say i am upset, gutted and annoyed is an understatement. I am sick of being in pain, since last July ive already been under 3 consultants and have attended 5 different hospitals.

I just dont know what else to do now.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Go and see PAL's and complain. You have a right to complain within 12months of being seen. Write a letter, send it to each Dr and to chief exec of the local nhs trust. Once diagnosed and if they say you need an op you should have it done within 18 week target.

pain does change with cysts mine virtually went away only occasionally flaring up. Unfortunately Drs seem to not care what it is like to be the patient, they are under too much pressure, however being in pain like you describe adds pressure to your life too. 

I hope you get sorted soon

• Posted

That's terrible Amanda! Which area are you in? Can't your GP hurry things along? I too have a cyst only found 10 days ago, I'm told the size of a football 25x22x18 on ct. Have been told I will be going in for hysterectomy and removal soon at Christy hospital but hope to god not weeks left like yourself! The pain is only relieved with codiene and lying down with a hot water bottle. You could try pals but the burocracy means it takes time and you must be so fed up of waiting. Good luck and sending best wishes x
    • Posted

Hi Jane i'm in Shropshire but for some reason i was originally sent to North Staffs. Ive just abot had enough now, i was first rushed into A&E in June last year. Im going back to see my GP on Monday

Fingers crossed for you that you are seen to quickly x

• Posted

I feel for you. My daughter was diagnosed on 28/12/14 having been rushed to hospital with suspected appendicitis the day before. It turned out her cyst was 30x32x20cm and she had only had pain start on 27/12 she had surgery to have it and her overy removed on 30/12 after being given 12 units of blood. The cyst contained 12 litres of fluid and was the biggest they had seen. I hate to think of what would have happened if it had been left for any longer. Keep at them keep going back til its fixed you cant mess around with your healt
  • Posted

I am so fed up hearing these terrible stories of the NHS letting women down over gynae issues! It is disgusting in this day and age. I too have been pushing for 12 months and still now waiting, I was told on Monday it will be up to 16 weeks, for a laproscopy. Originally I was told early last year I had IBS after nothing was found on ultrasound scan. I've been spoken to dismissively by doctors who made me feel like I was being a nuisance, and even told on one occasion I was getting stressed and making myself worse, and given a lesson in breathing exercises to help myself de-stress! Only after paying privately to see a consultant did get a Ct scan and colonoscopy. A small cyst was found, but even then because small the docs are dismissive of it and now think I have endometriosis. I just KNOW it is the cyst causing the problem, and I can feel that I have another one starting on the left side also now. Only time will tell but I sm sure I will be proven right. So I am not surprised at all to read all of your stories. Be strong everyone and push for answers! Xxxx
    • Posted

how do you know its the cyst causing your pain.

is it worse later in the day.

last tuesday i had a polyp removed but still have my pain which i think is in my left ovary area.

i am gutted i still have this pain.

it was a very long proccess to get this far (3 years)

i keep telling myself the pain is just me healing.

i anxiously await a post op appointment.

i'm in spain and the communication between departments is nill.

i dont think for one minute they look on screen at your medical history.

the medics here also get very angry if you present private test results especially if your an expat.

they've had a lot of cutbacks on salary and beds in hospitals so they're not happy bunnies.!

when you do research about chronic pelvic pain ,all the sites say to get a diagnosis is a long elimination proccess.

i remember the days when if sumit was broken we got it fixed.

fat chance these days !

• Posted

Hi Chica

Sorry to hear you are also having problems! The only reason I think it is a cyst is because my CT scan shows one. My family have no history of endometriosis but there is an instance of ovarian cysts. The doctors don't really seem to take everything into account that you tell them. It's like last year when this all started I missed a period at the same time and they just ignored that despite me keep highlighting it, and carried on pushing things down the gastro route 😩. I agree with you things have gone downhill. Back in the late 60's my nan got diagnosed with her cyst and operated on quickly without all this to ing and fro ing!

• Posted

thanks for that louise

6 days post op polypectomy i have started to bleed fresh coloured blood.

shucks i remember having a sneezing fit yesterday.

i suppose i'll just have to see how it goes.

i feel as though i'm in the lap of the gods, still with pain in my left ovary?

sometimes my beastie seems to wriggle about almost in my groin.

does that ring a bell with you.?

• Posted

Bless you that's not good, are you not supposed to let the hospital know if you have symptoms like that after surgery? Mine doesn't wriggle but some are more attached than others 😄
  • Posted

I am in Shropshire too. Last August I was sent to hospital urgently as after several visits to Gp he thought I had appendicitis the pain was terrific. After 2days of tests, being kept nil by mouth and no pain relief because" you will be having an operation"

i was sent home with a Dr saying that I should consider myself lucky that " I was not in the States and being charged £10,000 for it"!!

i finally did get keyhole in mid December, but not without trials and tribulations. The communication between departments and staff is appalling. Considering they have had 2 CQC reports that has pulled the trust up for their lack of communication you would think they should have done something to improve?

keep phoning the hospital, go back to your GP and basically make a nuisance of yourself and if that fails cry! As much as I would never normally do that I was so distressed last year and frustrated that I cried and finally someone listened to me. It shouldn't have to come to that though and I hope you get sorted soon.

• Posted

Just seen an article by Chloe Lambert in the Daily Mail from Jan 27th, all about misdiagnosis, apparently IBS has been noticed as being used by GP's rather than investigating properly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.