Prescribed 30mg of Mirtazapine, I am 17 and suffering side effects?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there,

I've been suffering from depression and have been experiencing sleeping problems over the last few months - I was prescribed Mirtazapine 30mg. I took my first tablet last night and almost immediately felt woozy, the same kind of feeling you get on ecstasy. I fell asleep almost straight away and had a good night's sleep but this feeling of wooziness hasn't gone away. I feel as if I am slurring my words and can't keep my eyes open at work, furthermore, I can't stop eating!

A colleague has suggested I split the tablets and just take half each night, would you recommend this? Or should I ask for another anti-D? I'm only 17 and understand that Mirtazapine is not really recommended for under 18s, wondering if this is why I'm reacting badly.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had the same problem felt really drunk but hyper, took half a dose last night15ml and was a bit better this morning but am knackered by dinner time. Still dizzy but not as hyper don't know what is the best way to go. Doc and phsy say give it time but I am fed up been ill for over 4 months now. Hope this is helpful good luck
  • Posted

The side effects you are talking about are known to affect users of this anti depressant. Most of the side effects disappear in about a week or two.

I have been on Mirt (15mg) now for 11 days and in the first 5 days I experienced a groggy feeling when getting up in the morning. This soon decreased and now I am feeling a lot calmer.

You need to give it more time - I know it's really difficult but try to not think about how you are feeling and sort of go with the flow.

As for splitting the dose - I would not do this without advice from your GP. You may find 15mg is indeed better for you but I think you need to get a professional opinion first.

Hope this helps. You'll get over the depression for sure. You probably can't see it just yet but when recovery arrives it sure feels good! (I am for one, feeling much better these days)

• Posted

No do not take half! believe it or not...lower doses are more sedative! lol backwards but true! The zombie feeling passed for me after about a week max. It's totally normal and I promise it will not be like that soon. I started on 30mg too and now on 45mg x
  • Posted

I should add; doses lower than 30mg are generally used just for sleep. Mirtazapine becomes most therapuetic at doses of 30mg and higher. I know it seems a bit weird that 15mg would be more sleepy than 30mg, but if you research you'll find it's true! I'm on 45mg however and I still sleep well smile xx
  • Posted

Hi - discuss with your GP, can be done by phone. It is normal to introduce Mirt by half dose for first 4 days, but please confirm your recommended dose with your GP. 

Also, just in case you have not been told, don't take alcohol or ecstasy or any other psycho active drug. They will just make you sicker. I hope you feel better soon, David.

• Posted

i had the same experiance when i first took 15mg mirtzapine was advised to start at 15mg for first 7 days then up the dose to 30mg , i was thinking the worst and that id be sleeping all day but no im not although i could eat constantly which is a concern 

i think like everyone on here we all need to take a day at a time and monitor our experiances . all the best !

• Posted

On a further note, I remember back when I was 19 and had my first bout of depression. It took me 8 months to finally feel myself again. You need to try to change your mindset (I know it is hard - but trust me on this) and not rely too much on the medication as for many people it is an aid, not a wholesale cure. Try to be as active as you can and do things that interests you (well, the things that used to interest you before you got depression). You will get better.
  • Posted

I only took half earlier this evening and i feel okay. But I'm on a couple meds at night primarily for night terrors

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.