Prescribed Amitriptyline for *possible* night time meralgia paresthetica

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I spoke to the doc about nerve pain in my left thigh at night. I've been having it for around a month now and get waken up with shooting pain probably 30-40% of the time.

The doc didn't say but from what I can tell its very similar to meralgia paresthetica.

I have been drinking more water and have been doing some streches and it seems to help.

I'm wondering if 1 10mg at night time will not cause too rapid side affects? I have a good bill of health despite the leg pain at night (and mild numbness during the day) but NO pain and certainly no back pain.

For regular takers of the pill - is 1 pill of 10mg not really much to concern myself over?

I'd rather explore more stretching and water intake than jump straight to pills.

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry that, ONE 10mg pill at night time it's prescribed for.

• Posted

Hi,

Just a very quick reply as I'm off to sleep in a minute. I would definitely go for more stretching, water and whatever else that might help before you go down the medication path. I always sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees which keeps the hips level. My top hip/thigh goes numb if I don't use the pillow.

Gotta go. Good luck and stay away from this medication if you can.

• Posted

I didn't really have any side effects on 10 mg. Only tired for the first few days my body was getting used to it. I started with 5 mg then bumped up to 10 mg

• Posted

Thanks folks, I didn't really anticipate being on anti--depressants for some nerve pain smile

I suppose the low dosage isn't much, I will try more stretching for a few more days then if no luck I will go on the pills.

I'm thinking it's down to weight as i'm pretty big [19st] but luckily I have a home gym now and eating better. Thats what no gym for 4 years will do to me!

• Posted

Hi Randy

Many of us have put on weight with Amitriptyline. I put on about 35lb while I was on it and couldn't shift it no matter how much swimming, walking and gym. I was on 50mg for 23years. Since tapering slowly over the last year or more (down to 2.5mg every 2nd night) I've lost about 25lb easily. If you are already concerned about your weight l wouldn't touch Ami with a barge pole.

• Posted

Interesting; It's more out of self indulgence than accident.

I have been doing '90 degree foot' stretches on my leg and it feels pretty good.

Another one is, doing the 90 degree foot lock, and lying flat and rotating the left leg by the hip...anti clockwise. Feels good and hoping I can fix this myself!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.