Prescribed Citalopram but with heart condition, do I take it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all smile basically my doctor perscribed me citalopram(10mg in the evening) The more I research it, the more I really don't want to take it as I have a heart condition(bradycardia) and suspected syptoms of Long QT Interval..

on the citalopram warnings, it said NOT to take it if you have any of these. My doc did ask was my heart okay and I said yes? He didn't explain that citalopram would effect it, even in small doses.

My doctor perscribed it but I feel like if I ask for a different medication, hes going to think I'm fussy? my heart already is very slow & ireggular so it makes no sense why I would take medication that has been known to increase chances of carddic arrest(in people with my heart condition) 

On the other hand, I really need to feel better & I kinda want to take it just so I have time to get the side effects over with before starting work but at the same time... I realllllllly don't think its wise of me to take it.

I have no-one to gain advice from and I cant speak to my doctor until monday so I don't know what to do? rolleyes 

I can't find anyone with my heart issue that is taking or has taken it, its relativly safe for the majoirty of people but all the research I'm finding is saying noooooo.

How can I over-ride my doctors perscription by sounding like "no thanks, I think I know better" ahh rolleyes

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your heart is nothing to mess with. I have a condition too but it isn't affected by cit. If you told him your heart was fine and that was the impression he was under when he prescribed it, then its not the right med. No shame in asking for something else or for being cautious. Better safe than sorry! At the end of the day, your dr helps people all day long, day in and day out. He won't think anything of your request and will go on about his day after he prescribes you something more appropriate. smile
  • Posted

Sorry im not a lot of help to you. 10 mg is a very low dose i dont think your doctor would let you take if he thought you were at any risk. Sorry cant be of more help to you

Keep your chin up. 

• Posted

Hi, I would wait till you speak to your GP on Mon, not worth the risk, or you could speak to a pharmasist and ask their opinion. 
  • Posted

Tanya, definitely do NOT take it until you've spoken again to your doctor.  As Ready has said, better safe than sorry.  It may be that a low dose is considered okay but you won't know til you've spoken to him.  He will not think that you're saying you know better, he will be happy that you've had the sense to wait until you've discussed it more fully with him. One weekend won't make much difference by not taking it but if it adversely affects your heart condition it could be life or death if you do.  Chat it through with your doctor, he may have already considered your existing condition but then again he may think because you said your heart was okay, he may not have realised.  There are lots of different medications for anxiety and it might be that a different one will have no problems.  Two days will not make a scrap of difference to side effects etc by waiting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.