Prescribed citalopram for insomnia and anxiety ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I have been suffering from insomnia for over a month now and after going to see my GP for help - and being prescribed different sleeping pills etc - she decided to prescribe me citalopram instead.

She said it sounded like the insomnia was due to depression and said to try 20mg at night to help ease anxiety and my obsession with getting enough sleep.

It's been 3 days and I'm still hesitant to try them.

I've read on loads of forums that they can cause insomnia ? I don't want to be twice as bad?

Can anyone give any advice ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I only took 10mg citalopram for 7 days. Stopped over 4 weeks ago. I now have insomnia.

Only getting between 2-3 hours sleep a night.

Do not take them in my opinion

• Posted

Sarah

In my experience 20mg can be a very high dose to start on , maybe start on a smaller dose & work your way up, it's impossible to predict how you will react to these meds but be prepared to buckle up & prepare for a roller coaster of a ride or you could be fine

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Find another way of sleeping. I certainly don't think these should of been prescribed to you for insomnia because she THINKS it may be depression.

These tablets send you to hell and back for the first week at least. Don't touch em

Alex

• Posted

I really wouldn t take these for insomnia.

These tablets can be hell to get on and are for people who are anxious and or depressed and are willing to go through that hell for a chance of feeling better.

Try anything else first.

• Posted

There r better meds for insomnia due to depression mitrazapine being 1 id try start on 10mg take it around tea time c how u go?
  • Posted

sarah

I take Citalopram every evening for my Reactive Depression and it does help my mood. It is important that you take the medication about thirty mins before bed so you wake up refreshed in the morning, This drug is first and foremost an antidepressent and should help for Anxiety and depression. 

Allow about five weeks for the best results

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.