Prescribed Efexor-XR (venlafaxine) for CFS - any suggestions?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone taken this drug for CFS? I finally got a diagnosis today and my doctor prescribed it to me at the lowest dosage, 37.5mg (to be doubled after a week if I'm doing well on it). He thought that increasing noradrenaline might help my energy levels.

At first I was positive about it and excited to see if it helped, but after I left the clinic and had some time to think about it, and especially after doing some research about the side effects and withdrawal symptoms, I'm really worried. I have had mental health issues in the past but am currently very stable and happy, and I'm terrified of upsetting that balance. Also, I am terrified of what would happen if I missed a dose - and I'm not talking about just forgetting...I regularly get very severe respiratory infections where I can't swallow anything for a day or two, which would prevent me from taking the medication. I'm just really worried about being dependent on it and not being able to suddenly stop.

I'd love to hear people's experiences with it, especially if you take a low dose, because I've read almost exclusively negative reviews (some really terrifying) so far. I find it weird that one of the often mentioned side effects is drowsiness, too, since the point of taking it for CFS is to give you more energy...

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi grailmoth

i wanted to write because I have quite severe M.E. with other health conditions, Crohn’s disease and bipolar disorder so I feel I understand your dilemma a little (at times my Crohn’s makes investing meds very sporadic) I’ve taken Venlafaxine X-R myself and I’ve got to be honest here, I felt it made me more tired particularly at low doses. One of the problems with Venlafaxine as an SNRI is that the Noradrenaline action only becomes significant at higher doses so at low doses it acts more like an SSRI. IF you are tolerating it well and feel you can go on withit it may help you if you can get to a steady dose. Should you get a respiratory infection you can get this drug in a liquid form I don’t know if that would help you? I will say it’s a difficult drug to get off and it’s not an easy drug to miss a dose of because it has such a short half life so wothdrawal comes quickly. I don’t want to scare you I’m trying to give a balanced opinion. It helped me with depression but I did feel quite lethargic while taking it, it certainly didn’t improve my fatigue but everyone is different on these drugs as you know. I switched to Duloxetine (Cymbalta) 120mg which is exclusively an SNRI so you get the benefit of noradrenaline at lower doses, I’ve found it to be less sedating and fewer side effects though missing a dose carries the same drawbacks. Ultimately you can only do what feels right for you, maybe give it a short trial? Talk through your concerns with your dr and ask fir a plan going forward should you get an infection or start to feel the drug isn’t suiting you. I really hope you find a resolution. If there are any questions you want to ask specically or anything please don’t hesitate. Wishing you well 💟

• Posted

I don't know if this is of any assistance but I can't take ANY medications. My body is too sensitive. Even herbs and many of the natural supplements are way too strong for me. BUT I'm still slowly improving as long as I keep doing the things I know help me. This has taken lots of time to figure out and process but the longer it takes, the more I'm learning. I consider it somewhat of a blessing that I can't take meds because it doesn't complicate my recovery with side effects. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.