Prescribed fluoxetine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all.

I've been prescribed 20mg fluoxetine by my gp just under a week now and to be quite honest I feel just awful.

My anxiety is through the roof feelings of dread and dispear.

I'm not sure as to continue with them. Has anyone else had side effects like these?

Thanks.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, im on day 16 fluoxetine 20mg.

Yes the side effects have been awful!!

My GP told me i will get worse before i get better.

I didnt think id ever actually feel this bad....

Try and stay positive, i found listening to meditation/breathing exercises helpful i know its hard but try and take it easy while the tablets are doing what they need to do.

I like to think there is light at the end of the tunnel, im better this week compared to last week but still nowhere near to where i wish i was. Everyone is different and reacts differently to medication. Take each day as it comes!!!

• Posted

Hi Rudy

​I would have a chat with a few people on here and maybe see your doctor again first. I was in the first week stage only just over 5 weeks ago and like you it was awful. It did ease off though and I am now hoping for the stage where things get better.

​They say it can take over 6 weeks to work, please do a little research first before giving up.

I wish you all the best

​John

• Posted

Hi

I am also on 20mg a day but I'm into month 5. I can still remember the horrendous side effects for the first 4 weeks, they then tapered off weekly tI'll around 12 weeks. Would I go through all that again YES, because now I feel like a human being again. I spent my first week laying on the sofa, lost 10Ilbs in weight I ached in every joint, got mouth thrush my gums bleed and lots more but it is worth it so please hang in there it does get better.

Katie is correct in her comment self hypnotherapy is brilliant for this but you need to find a good program or app and do it everyday without fail for at least 2 weeks.

Keep talking on here also they are a really supportive bunch of people

• Posted

Thankyou everyone. I'm back at my gps next week, I'm counting down the days. My anxiety is worse first few hours in the morning.

I do listen too a hypnotherapy app already. I greatly appreciate all the advice.

• Posted

You will get better I'm now past 8 weeks and feel best in long time took me to 5/6 weeks I thought I was being tortured for first 3 weeks so don't give up i promise you i nearly but kept at it even at 5 weeks I felt like throwing in towel then decided nope support on here kept me strong xxxxxx you will conquer it meditation helped me loads i still go sleep with headphones on listening to binaural beats or rain sounds xx please believe us all you will survive and be stronger xx

• Posted

Thank you April. All advice is taken on board, I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. X
  • Posted

Hi Rudy

I felt exactly like you and there were times I was in a pit of despair with no way out. I am now on week 6 and feel like I have turned a corner. Keep with the meds and you will get there I promise

Best wishes

Nigel

• Posted

I was prescribed 20mg a day 5 days ago and I'm really struggling at work. I'm anxious, fidgety, have no concentration and have been struggling to sleep longer than an hour or so at a time. Please someone tell me this wont last like this for 2 weeks? Feel exhausted already.

• Posted

Hi Vic, I definately know how your feeling, im on day nine and feeling really bad, anxiety is awful, shaky feel like i have a virus. But im going to keep taking them as ive read so many reports that these side effects will go away. For some people these feelings are worse and it often is a good sign that Flu will work for you. Have you considered a short course of valium to help with sleep? My Dr gave me a script only a small dose. They do take edge off, whilst getting through the first few weeks. Try warm milk drink at night it has a calming effect. A nice warm bath or shower, no tech devices prior to bed. Soothing waterfall with music sounds, a massage?

i do hope we get through this, there is a light that shines brightly, day by day its getting closer!

😉

• Posted

That's great advice carol. I might ask my gp about valium too as I'm struggling like vic too.

• Posted

Hi vic.

I agree the sleeping is really bad, but I belive it will get better. I listen to 1hr of soothing sounds whilst in bed and I find that helps.

• Posted

Hi rudy,

these are quite normal from what ive been reading sbout SSRIs, im having an increase in anxiety and feel really ill. Ive tried cipramil recently i took it for six weeks i probably gave up too soon and dont want to do the same again!

I have health issues, i really need this med to work on me!

there is a lot of advice and reviews online, i found one that gave me some coping tips, keep your mind busy if you can. Get some fresh air, read, play some computer games. Crosswords, go for a short walk, i am trying to do all of these, and eat well. No coffee as it can make you jittery, vitamin B12, magnesium.

i wish you good luck, hang in there its worth it, no pain no gain!??🤗

• Posted

Hi Carol.

I'm going to try and hang in there but my dark thoughts of dispear and anxiety out weight any positively. I've recently bought a book so ill try and keep my mind busy with that.

• Posted

Haven't spoken to the doc about Valium, but last night kept headphones and a playlist by my bed. I woke up as anticipated and started feelin anxious about work, so started listening to the music and it definitely helped! At least I have a new way to try and help!

I'm on day 7 now. Does the second week get worse or is it just like this continually? The doc offered me a line for work which I refused but wondering if I can cope with it next week.

Thanks for the replies so far.

• Posted

I was the same the second week as first (the worse side effects) but from then on it got better and better.

Try to go for a short walk if you can even round your garden if you have one, fresh air makes a lot of difference. The music will definatley help.

Try not to anticipate improvements everyday, if you worry about feeling ill from the flouextine it will make your symptoms worse but you have been positive in your post so stick with it

• Posted

Thanks Woo. Had a really bad day yesterday and just hoping that won't continue. I'm away all weekend with family so hoping it distracts me rather than makes me feel overwhelmed! Lots of fresh air and playing with my niece should help! 😊

• Posted

Hi vic.

Your a week a head of me in treatment I afraid so I wouldn't know. I hope you continue to find ways to help you feel relaxed. My anxiety is through the roof this morning sad

• Posted

You too Rudy. Clinging to everyone's comments about it easing off. Here's hoping!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.