Prescribed for Depression/Anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

GP prescribed me Amitriptyline for depression and anxiety issues, as well as IBS?  

Would I be able to use this as a sleeping pill only? Recently had some Anxiety flare up and laying in bed with racing thoughts is not easy. I've already trialed this medication once and it knocked me out for 12 hours. I stopped taking it after 1 dose,  was that a bad decision? I am thinking of jumping on Lexapro because I feel this medication will really do me well, could I still use the Amitriptyline as a sleeping pill whilst taking Lexapro?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When I first started taking amitriptyline it made me so sleepy and I would be drowsy throughout the following day, after a couple of weeks that went away. It still helps me get off to sleep but it doesn’t affect me in the day anymore, only the first 30 mins of waking up. It’s also helped with my anxiety because that would flare up whilst I was trying to sleep but because it helps me sleep quicker it’s calmed down a bit
  • Posted

Hi Patrick

?My doctor prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg for sleep and IBS. I started taking it 3 weeks ago. The first dose does totally wipe you out and it takes a while for your body to get used to it.  But I have persevered and am finding that it does help with sleep and my IBS has improved. I actually cut my tabs in half so I take 5mg each night, I find this is better for me.  Doc advised me to take it 2-3 hours before bed, this means that upon waking the effects are wearing off and you will not feel so groggy. 

?Also as you probably already know, too much stress is bad for IBS, and you could try keeping a food diary, then cut out foods which don't agree with you and find alternatives.

?Hope this helps.

• Posted

Yes

Amitriptyline can be used as an occasional med for Sleep problems it's better used occasionally for sleep, because when used regularly the sedative effect tends to reduce overtime.

Can be prescribed alongside an SSRI in combo, as long as the dosage is kept low. (Serotonin syndrome is rare with this combination at low dose)

Although it is usual to explore monotherapy first before looking at combinations. ie: have you tried a sedating AD like Mirtazapine or Seroxat?

• Posted

Hi pPatrick, I was prescribed Amit purely for sleeping as had insomnia. What I found with it though is I struggled to get out of bed in the mornings and felt heavy and lethargic until the afternoon, it was so bad in the mornings that my family made me two cups of coffee to get me out of bed. Turns out I have a sensitivity to them, so am now tapering off them. I think its about finding the right dosage and taking it early in the evening is the key with these. I sleep well on them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.