Prescribed Gabapentin and Mirtazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was prescribed Gabapentin 300 mg daily and Mirtazapine 15 mg daily. Feel like my head is stuffed with cotton wool and very lethargic. Also unpleasant vivid dreams! Weird!

Can anyone tell if these side effects go fairly quickly because i couldn't function properly like this.

Thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I cant tolerate either I came off mertazaphine as it wasnt working after a year. Gabapentin is a lethal drug to be on found to cause breathing issues among other side effects!

• Posted

hi Ellie,

in answer to your question....No.

From my personal experience on gabapentin, you will suffer from the side effects.

fatigue, sleep disturbance, brain fog, short term memory problems, constipation, joint pain, swollen glands, stomach pains, loss of appetite to name a few. After a while you will need a higher dosage to maintain the same effect. You will at some point become dependent on this drug, that will depend on your dosage and length of time taken. Your vivid dreams are as a result of taking gabapentin. Sometimes you may feel that you have never been to sleep, and are more tired, as if you never went to bed in the first place.

It all boils down to what you are prepared to except while taking this particular drug, whether the benefits out way the side effects.

As for the Mirtazapine, i cannot comment as i have no experience of this drug, or if it interacts in a negetive way with gabapentin.

good luck,

Ric.

• Posted

Sorry for delay replying, due to illness. Thank you for the information about Gabapentin - I am seeing my doctor in a few days so will see what alternatives there are (if any!!)

• Posted

Ellie.

I was on 2,400 mg of Gabapentin. Right. 2,400 mg ! .. Now i slowly reduced to 900. Very slow

taper. Since Feb., 2019.Gabapentin is anti-convulsant. Mirtazapine has helped me sleep some.

All of these drugs require a very, very gradual ween. Taper very slowly. Ween very slowly as the

brain needs time to adapt. The worst is to rush to get off. Doctors need to be trained that these

drugs need to be weened extremely slowly, otherwise the brain goes into "rebound". We all

are different. You will be fine if you taper very, very slowly. About 10% less per week or even slower !

When will medical school teach these doctors how to stop taking these drugs ?? They teach them

when to give them, and how to take them, but NOT how to stop the drugs.

• Posted

Thank you. I also think that doctors prescribe all these potentially dangerous drugs too easily without explaining the possible consequences. I dont think the info leaflet really means much because its very confusing when describing possible side-effects, e.g., 'may cause drowsiness' then again 'may cause agitation' .........its a bit of a lottery!

• Posted

I just saw your post again and it rang a bell. Some Mirtazapine was mislabeled by Aurobindo. Are you taking 7.5 mg twice a day or one 15 mg pill? Is it from Aurobindo? The FDA issued this warning:

Aurobindo Pharma USA, Inc. is voluntarily recalling lot number 03119002A3 of Mirtazapine Tablets to the consumer level. The product is being recalled due to a label error on declared strength; bottles labeled as Mirtazapine 7.5 mg may contain 15 mg tablets.

Taking a higher dose than expected, may increase risk of sedation, agitation, increased reflexes, tremor, sweating, dilated pupils, gastrointestinal distress, nausea, constipation and more. Unexpected levels of sedation in particular can contribute to falls in the elderly or motor vehicle accidents in adults.

Mirtazapine tablets are indicated for the treatment of major depressive disorder and are packaged in 500 count bottles. The affected lot number for both Mirtazapine Tablets 7.5 mg and Mirtazapine Tablets 15 mg are 03119002A3 Exp 03/2022. The product can be identified by checking the product name, manufacturer details and batch or lot number on the bottle containing these products.

• Posted

Thanks for that info babs. My tablets are 1 x 15 mg nightly and are dispensed in a blister pack in box.

• Posted

I am also on Mirtazapine , & , just recently, stopped Gabapentin. Withdrawal has been hard. Most of my symptoms have lessened or gone away, but 1. I have the same side effects as you, stuffiness in my head & ears & head pressure around my ears & temples. I never thought mirtazapine had anything to do with it, but after reading your post, I feel I should cut back on that drug too or quit it to see if it helps matters. I will let you know when my side effects dissipate. I wish you well in your journey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.