prescribed Orlistat today

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hiya, I've struggled with my weight for years and it's gotten me down. I'm allergic to milk so have a restricted and have always lacked willpower, recently stopped smoking and stopped biting nails so I'm getting there lol. Anyway I've been prescribed orlistat today to take 3 times day and wondered if anyone had any advice, I have approximately 4 stone to lose.

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

[color=#333333]Hi there, I started these on the 26th April so I am in the same boat really but I have been on them before about 5 years ago and I lost 3st which I was happy with but now I have gained more weight which like you makes me feel un happy with myself. I can’t do any weight bearing exercise so that is not an option. My nurse has been offering me these again for a few months now but I was adamant that I would loose it my self but with no luck I had to give in. the side effects are not good  though so be careful what you eat and make sure you drink plenty of water. I find if I don’t drink plenty of water I get really bad headache.  If you work I would recommend you start them when you are not working just so you know what to expect. I find it helps if you write everything down what you eat / drink , I do this and when I go to my nurse for my 4 week weigh in we discuss what I have eaten and the choices I have made. I hope that helps but happy to answer any questions.[/color]
  • Posted

[color=#333333]Hi there, I started these on the 26th April so I am in the same boat really but I have been on them before about 5 years ago and I lost 3st which I was happy with but now I have gained more weight which like you makes me feel un happy with myself. I can’t do any weight bearing exercise so that is not an option. My nurse has been offering me these again for a few months now but I was adamant that I would loose it my self but with no luck I had to give in. the side effects are not good  though so be careful what you eat and make sure you drink plenty of water. I find if I don’t drink plenty of water I get really bad headache.  If you work I would recommend you start them when you are not working just so you know what to expect. I find it helps if you write everything down what you eat / drink , I do this and when I go to my nurse for my 4 week weigh in we discuss what I have eaten and the choices I have made. I hope that helps but happy to answer any questions.[/color]
  • Posted

Hi, I started with orlistat at the end of March so I'm coming to the end of my 7th week and I've lost 4st. I still have plenty to lose as I started at over 32st. Like Rachel said I record everything that I eat and drink, I use an app on my phone and it calculates my calories & fat content. I thought it would be difficult to keep it going but I'm a bit obsessed now of recording it all. Just watch your fat content, you can't cheat on these tablets, they are not magic, you have to work at it but they do work. Good luck.
    • Posted

keep up the good work Adam .....great progress well done cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hello bekloith,

I have been overweight for years and have started having trouble with my hip and back....hip is very sore and only got worse not better ....Doc asked me if i would like help to loose weight. I didnt know what to expect as i read the horror stories but after taking them for a week now i lost 11 lb woo hoo smile never been happier, i have only had a tummy ache on one night but i had butter on my sandwich so i knew what it was but ive been feeling really good.   I can certainly notice the difference already i feel soo much happier starting @ 17st4lb after week one 16st 6lb......go for it im sure if your sensible you'll be fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.