Prescription diuretics control my migraines

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Just thought I'd share with you what works for me. I suffered migraines many years, they lasted 3/4 days at a time, sometimes 2 a month. I started taking Bendroflumethiazide 2.5 mg daily and my migraines stopped. I still get headaches but nothing like the migraines I used to have. When I have stopped taking diuretics my migraines have come back. Might be worth looking I'm to.

Best wishes

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I find propanolol helps me
    • Posted

Hi,

Yes, I've read that some blood pressure meds can also control migraines. Glad it works for you.

• Posted

Hi were you prescribed the diuretics for migraine prevention or high blood pressure ?

i take propranolol 80 mg slow release, helped a lot at first but after two years have waned off

thanks

• Posted

It was given for bp but the added benefit was stopping daily crippling headaches, I was given 20mg x 2 but only took 10mg then they upped it to 40 up to two times a day but I still take 10mg. Bp averages 117/ 75 or lower, max when stressed is 135/90. Also take co amilozide 2.5mg Propanolol also stops the occasional palpitations. Think everyone needs to find the right dose for themselves, I don't like taking meds but propanolol has been beneficial for me. Did you take it for bp or migraine ..in what way has it tapered off?

• Posted

Hi, I sort of stumbled upon it. I was offered and accepted bp meds for border line blood pressure. When I visited the pharmacy one day to collect my prescription she asked if she could check my BP which turned out to be very low. I was advised to see my doctor and ask to change from bp med to bendro 2.5mg. My doctor agreed and after taking them I began to realise I was no longer having migraines which were the Bain of my life. At one point my doctor wanted me to stop taking them because my BP was ok But I asked if I could continue with them because it was preventing my migraines and he agreed. I have tried stopping them since myself but my migraines came back. All I know is they work for me.

Bed wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.