Prescription leeway for monofocal iols and laser adjustment

Posted , 3 users are following.

After my cataract op last October my left eye has come out: Sphere: +0.5, Cylinder -0.75 x 10.  I am wondering whether a laser adjustment could reduce the prescription to 0 or -0.5, and whether it could also cure the astigmatism.  But first need to know the margin of error to see whether such an adjustment might take the prescription down further.  I think the surgeon and the optician both consider I am chasing perfection and that the adjustment would be best made by glasses - and I don't mind wearing them !

NB My original prescription was -15 sphere, and I think this may affect the degree of accuracy or a laser adjustment.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am seeing the surgeon in a couple of weeks:  I will request 0 to -0.25 spherical correction in the right eye and discuss with him if aiming at 0 cylinder is feasible.  (The current cylinder is 0.75 x 172 6/6+).  If an astigmatism correction is not available on the UK NHS it is probably worth paying the extra cost.    I did wonder whether I should have requested near vision in both eyes as most of my work is at close range and I was previously very myopic, but I think monovision iols would still have been very fixed focus, and so (eg) only set (at a distance decided by the surgeon), probably for reading, and not other activities such as playing the piano or organ(armslength), laptop, teaching, shopping, reading the car satnav etc.  

So I would have been just as dependent on progressive glasses or mini-monovision glasses as I am/will be with the iols set on distance ?  

• Posted

Best wishes for a successful surgery.
    • Posted

Just spotted a typo - last sentence should have read: So would I have been just as dependent on progressive glasses or mini-monovision glasses as I am/will be with the iols set on distance ?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.