Prescription Medications for Dry Mouth due to Sjogrens Syndrome

Posted , 5 users are following.

Wanted to know if anyone experiencing dry mouth due to  Sjogrens Syndrome has trouble swallowing the mediation. Would it be helpful to have a syrup or solution vs pill or capsule for patients?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have a lot of problems with swallowing and it's actually a fairly new for me. I used to be able to take a handful of pills all at one time but now it's one at a time. I cannot swallow it all unless I have something like water in my mouth. In fact I take a sip of water with nearly every bite that I eat.

• Posted

I have the same problem. All my medication has to be in liquid form or pills easy to crush......I have problems swallowing everything and my food is mostly blended. Lots of dental treatment too.........
    • Posted

A trick for swallowing capsules is  to put water in you're mouth then pop the capsule in and instead of throwing your head back tilt your head down like your trying to touch your chin to your chest. This will cause the capsule to float to the back of your throat and with one swallow it will go down the hatch.

• Posted

There is a gel product on the market, used in lots of American nursing homes. Somewhat like putting a pill into almost-firm jello. Worked wonders for a friend's husband in the last year of his life.

• Posted

Have tried a gel dentist gave me but lasts about a minute in the mouth so relief is very brief. Thanks again......
    • Posted

No, the gel I'm talking about is a product specifically for swallowing pills. They use it even for folks with Parkinson's & ALS, who really have trouble swallowing pills.

• Posted

Hey guys thanks fo sharing your thoughts. Would you think a syrup or a solution would make it better vs a capsule or a pill?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.