Pressure and Twitching In Eye Months After Migraine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Two months ago, I suffered an aura migraine.  It began with me loosing my vision, and then the migraine pain hit.  After about 8 hours of hell, the migraine was gone, but the symptoms remained. (Nausea, headache but not migraine, pressure behind my eye, pure exhaustion, confusion, numbness on the right side of my face, etc.)  Finally 5 days later, it was almost all gone.  This was the longest migraine hang over I had ever had!  Unfortunately, on the 5th day I suffered from another one and all of these symptoms came back.  Again, after the migraine was gone the symptoms remained.  Two weeks later, I was scared there was something more serious going on so I drove myself to the ER.  They did a CAT scan and a MRI.  Both came back clear, other than a couple UBOs (unidentified brain objects, or spots in the deep white matter of my brain) which already existed and are believed to be scar tissue from previous migraines.  They pumped me full of steroids, and gave me a script for prednisone and an antidepressant that also takes care of headaches and migraines.  Because I can go 3 years without a migraine, I opted not to take the antidepressant everyday to avoid killing every other part of my body.  I figured I'd meet in the middle and finish the 10 days of prednisone.  However, by day 3, I had gained 10 lbs, was losing clumps and clumps of my hair, feeling horrible from the 2-3 hours of sleep it was limiting me to, and my extremities were numb from the pitting edema.  I immediately stopped the prednisone.

Now, 2 months later, I still have a least a slight pressure behind my right eye if not moderate, and frequent twitching in it as well.  I still feel confused and out of it a lot, with very little energy.  I also have at least a slight headache everyday in the same spot I get my migraines.  I have been to the chiropractor and that has helped slightly, but do not have chiropractic in my insurance plan so have to limit it.  I have also been to the neurologist, and he basically came back with a med for each symptom instead of trying to figure out the cause of my symptoms.

Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, what was the cause for you?  If there is any info you would like to share, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey,

I’m 61 and have had migraines since age 14:-(((. I have had the pressure in my left eye for years, sometimes it feels like a toothache in my left temple. I realized my left eye is just slightly twitching almost all the time which is accounting for the temple aching.  After much trial and error my doctor has prescribed Rizatriptan, taken when the headache first appears and 30 minutes later if it’s not gone. I was also prescribed Noratriptillin as a preventive but I had too many side affects to continue taking it. The Rizatriptan seems to work better than any other meds I have taken before. Sometimes nothing helps and I just have a headache for days. Good luck I am waiting on the next episode new drugs to be FDA approved or for me to “grow out of these headaches”. LOL. My dad’s 84 and he only has a few a year now!!!!  

Try to get enough sleep and if you feel exhausted that’s a precursor to a lot of my headaches so I proactively start the meds when I have the pre signs and symptoms rather than waiting till the headache is full blown!  

• Posted

She’s right! The sleep is a huge issues for headaches and can definitely trigger these migraines.. I’ve noticed my left shoulder/neck will have pressure and stiffness before I have these headaches and think might have something to do with my bed/pillows it’s best to have the best stuff for rest other wise your migraines will act up. 
  • Posted

Hello! Sorry for your issue. Just wanted to let you know your definitely not a lone in this situation I actually had a migraine with aura today it’s gone now but I still have little pressure and stiffness in neck and head. I started getting these migraines earlier when I was I was in high school but barely to be honest, once in a blue moon... I’m 25 now and I’m getting them more often maybe like 4 a month or less.. I’ve done the same as you I went to every type of doctor and had a CT MRI EEG and other stuff such as blood tests and a whole bunch of things ..they came back normal and nothing was wrong except neurologist told me I had a benign nerve on my left side of head and not to worry cause it seems to be nothing so he prescribed be some sumatriptan. I used it once, it helped the migraine but maybe me feel different so I stopped. I also went to the allergist and have had done endoscopy, allergy test as well. Allergy test came back positive with multiple allergies such as ragweed, pet dander, rat and rat pellets and more so I’m taking Zyrtec everyday and some nasal things also am doing immunotherapy which is injection into me once a week and is supposed to cure my allergies within a year to 5 years but I was told my allergies can act up my migraines so I’m hoping this immunotherapy will work I’ve definitely noticed good things, but my migraines still around... anyways good luck and definitely look up natural remedies to help such as magnesium oil on your feet everyday for 30 minute and acupuncture and aromatherapy type things also try and eat better.. make a log of these migraines figure it out if it’s stress, your diet and try to do your own investigations. Doctors will do these tests to make sure your not fully having issues where you are deathly.. good luck though! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.