Pressure - could this be a silent migraine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I hope someone's run into this before and can tell me if it sounds like a migraine or not... so in January, I got a horrible toothache and a feeling of pressure on the back right side of my head. When I went to the dentist she didn't see anything on the X-Ray. She figured the toothache was from a deep filling reacting to cold weather, and she was right - in a couple of weeks, the tooth was fine, and the feeling of pressure also disappeared.

I figured that was that, and never gave it another thought until I got pregnant in February. Two weeks after I got pregnant, I started having the worst headaches ever, just about every day. Never got them formally diagnosed, but my OB thought they were migraines. There was no aura and very little light or sound sensitivity, but the pain itself was horrible and got much worse when I moved. I don't know how I managed to function at work and at home, and I had to stop driving. The funny thing is, they were almost always focused on the back right side of my head (and the back of my neck), and they usually followed a schedule. I'd wake up feeling fine, go to work, and by 9 or 10 AM, the headache would start. By 1 PM, I was barely functioning. By 4 or 5, I was feeling well enough to get on the train back home and drag through the evening. Sometimes when the headache went away, a feeling of pressure would linger. Rinse and repeat. The headaches stopped at the end of the first trimester, while I was still trying to get in to see a neurologist. I was very happy to be OK again, until I noticed that the pressure is still there. It kind of comes and goes, and almost seems to follow the same schedule the headache did - OK in the morning, bad in the afternoon, usually gone by the time I get home from work. 

Could it be a weird kind of silent migraine? I'm torn between going to see that neurologist after all, and just not wanting to know what it is. My family's going through a lot right now, and the last thing we need is a major health crisis for me. I'd definitely err on the side of ignoring this, if part of me wasn't worried what will happen to my kids if ignore something serious, and it kills or disables me.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My deal is somewhat like yours. But I do not get a pain headache.

I am usually okay in the morning.  Early afternoon still okay. But at 4pm, I get a quick dizzy thing. Then ,my face fills with pressure from my forehead down past my maxillary sinuses (cheeks).  My left ear plugs up, and I feel all off balance.  Kinds like walking on a boat.

I never get headaches though.  But what I do get which is a seasonal thing   ( Sept/Oct   and   March/April) is the aura in my eyes. It lasts for about 20 minutes and goes away.  There is no headache that follows.

This has been going on daily for years.............

Neurologist thinks it is silent migraines  

• Posted

I'm sorry you're dealing with that! It sounds very uncomfortable. It does sound a lot like what I'm getting now, so hopefully this is only a migraine. I guess I'll take it over the regular, painful ones!

• Posted

Hi

My Migraines start with tooth pain, sadly had two teeth removed, thinking that was the fault and regret as I now suffer chronic migraines.

Neurologists definitely a good idea

• Posted

That sounds awful, sorry you're dealing with that. I never knew dental problems can trigger migraines, but now I wonder if that's what started it for me... now that I think of it, my teeth also hurt a bit (but were fine) right before the painful migraines started.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.