Pressure in Ears - always needing to hold nose and blow

Posted , 3 users are following.

Recently I nave had a lot of pressure in my ears, and I am always needing to open them up by holding my nose and blowing.  This makes me more deaf for a few seconds but it soon seems to relieve the pressure and the I can hear again.  

What does it mean to always need to blow out the pressure in my ears?  I have a daily commute and change altitude of about a 1000 feet / 2x every day.  I am especially sensitive to altitude sickness at extreme altitudes ( 5000 feet or more).  What's going on with my ears?  Is there anything I can do to help prevent the pressure from constantly needing to be opened up.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I should imagine that it's pretty much to do with the altitude changing and your popping is the noise you get when the air inside the inner  tries to equalise with that around it like when you fly. Try sucking hard candy whilst travelling, that can help. If it's not, Do you suffer with head aches? Or pain around the eyes? 

• Posted

Hi, I get a blocked feeling too, I've been told it's a eustacian tube problem. I've had it since last December. I used to be able to go in any altitude no problem, but since this problem it's makes my ear blocked. Sometimes nasal sprays work to clear the tubes? You could ask your doctor about it? I also get pressure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.