Pressure over chest/back

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello.

I've had a feeling of pressure over my upper body which has been particularly noticable when walking, particularly uphill.

I have it also at rest.

It can feel a little bit like someone is sitting on my chest or like I have a vest with a 20-30 kg weight on me making it feel like I almost can't move because of the weight.

I can also feel a little shortness of breath, a little nauseous and a little sick/feverish/like I'm too hot or have the flu even though I don't have a fever.

I was at the ER today because of a significant worsening of these symptoms today when I was walking a short distance.

They took an EKG and measured my troponin T level around 1-2 hours after symptom onset. Then they sent me home when the test result came in around an hour later because the level was below what is considered diagnostic for a heart attack here in Norway (above 14 ng/L). It was 5.

In general I first noticed symptoms like these about a month ago. I noticed a significant worsening today.

I'm a 30 year old female, a little overweight (recently gained 12 kg) and have smoked in the past, but don't now. I have lived a sedentary lifestyle with unhealthy eating habits most of my life. I have some family members that got coronary artery disease at a young age (one died at 40 of heart attack and another had coronary artery disease at 50 and got stents placed). I don't have high cholesterol. I've had high homocysteine levels for a long time, but here in Norway it's not recognized as an indicator of increased risk for heart disease.

As I'm writing this, I'm doing a little better, but still have some chest pressure, nausea and malaise feeling.

I'm honestly a little unhappy about how they dealt with this at the ER. According to official national (norwegian) guidelines I've found online they're not supposed to dismiss people with symptoms that resemble acute coronary syndrome. They're supposed to admit them for further testing. With regards to unstable angina, there's not necessarily a high troponin or abnormal EKG, I've heard. I would think a stress-test or non-invasive CT coronary angiography would be reasonable tests.

If someone else would have told me of these symptoms I would have thought the same/been equally concerned, I think. I don't really think I'm exaggerating the symptoms due to anxiety or that they're caused by anxiety.

Another doctor did find a mild (1 mm) ST-segment elevation on my EKG from 3 weeks ago.

Do you think I should go back to the ER about this today or within the weekend?

Do you have any advice on how to get the doctors to check you more thoroughly?

I'm almost bedridden due to the symptoms. I'm not even able to do basic stuff like hygiene, showering, cleaning, cooking, as necessary and normal (meaning I have done something, but not as a normal person would).

I also have a bounding pulse, by which I really just mean that I feel my heart working/have sensations in my abdomen/back and pelvis (in particular, but also at times in chest, neck and head) that feel like heart palpitations. This can be felt so forcefully so that it almost feels like my torso is being pushed back and forth with the beats when bending forward or like I'm being pushed up and down when walking (because of rising and falling feeling and pulsing/throbbing in pelvis/low back area).

I've had pain in the left side of my jaw but have thought it was/is related to dental problems. This has been the last couple of days.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.