pressure pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

after shingles head, brow and eye. horrible pain, my gp did not relate strange feeling of pressure on side of nose and upper teeth to the virus. new doc after a year said straight away that is what I was suffering from. no treatment in that year.  I then had another bout of shingles on my neck. This problem does not go away despite various drugs. Too late was the cry I think. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi madge I too have phn in my head brow and eye lid ,its very pain ful I could  dig my eye out some times as it stings and hot .

like you two doctors didnt know what it was , apparently if you have an injection within 36hours you dont get this pain.

I have had it for four years and it really gets you down so I really know how you feel.

I take gabapentin and tramadol when its really bad.

didnt realize so many people had this, as you say its nerve damage and it never goes away.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear that you too suffer, but, it confirms that I really was not going mad or imaging things. This problem seems to be so ongoing that you would think gps would automatically think of treating potential phn every time
  • Posted

Very sorry to hear.  I have had for over 7 years on torso front and back so I know what it is like.  I also know location makes a huge difference and I have total empathy for indivdiuals like yourself that have PHN in more sensitive areas.  One continues to try different medical interventions and personal approaches to managing the pain.  I am currently looking at the cyrogenic method and my doctor things the procedure can be reproduced here in Canada by a dermatologist.  Biological plausibility is lacking for the procedure but I will try (almost) anything.  Years ago an elderly doctor hugged me and said he was so sorry but also said after 5 years he has seen some improvement. Just recently I have noticed some - the pain (duration, intensity and type) has just changed.  The number of hours of 8/10 intensity has gone down but the number of hours of 4 or so has gone up.  An improvement given I have learned how to live with the lower level numbers.  Hoping it will continue to migrate away from the 8 plus hours.  Take care and this site is the only one I know where we can exchange info and remain hopefull.   jim
  • Posted

I forgot to add for me given the location on the torso/abdomen I found weight loss/gain impacts the pain.  I think from the simple perspective of skin stretching.  I have recently lost 20 to 30 lbs.  I think that is perhaps why my pain intensity profile has changed for the better as I just noted in my last response to you.  A reason I say personal experimentation is important - particuarly re things like clothing.  In your case I dont know how you deal with issues like wind or even breezes from fans.  I know I cant expose my self to winds in the summer without pain.  (sorry for a few typos but understandable in any case)
    • Posted

hi, the sensation i have on my head is one of, yes pain at times, but most of all as it someone has one side of my face and upper teeth in a vice. the lady doctor who diagnosed phn said it was because the pain or sensation can travel to nerve endings. after a year though of mis diagnosis i fear the damage was done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.