Pressure pain in the back wakes me up at night

Posted , 5 users are following.

When I am sleeping I get a pain that starts around my back (middle left) at the top of my ribs level.  I feels like a pain pressure and I have to sit upright and force to burp which is difficult, sometiimes it relieves it and sometimes when I go back to sleep it wakes me up again.  I went to A&E and did an ecg(the pain wasn't present, only comes when I am sleeping) and x-ray but they couldn't find anything abnormal.  My cardiologist did a heart scan and ecg (pain wasn't present neither) and he said everything seemed normal.  Three months ago I visited the Digestive Doctor and he sent me for an upper endoscopy and he said that everything seems normal, I had a hiatal hernia in the past but he could not see it.

So here I am with my symptoms and don't know where else to go.  When they come I get very anxious I keep thinking it's a heart attack and I get really scared, now I try to calm down when it comes, but I would like to know what is this symptom coming from. Do you recognize these symptoms?  Thank you.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you feel that this pain feels like a tightening, pressure or a weight pressing down on you. I get a very similar thing with my MS hug.  It's a muscle spasm. Not saying you have MS but you could be suffering spasm of the muscle. Try sleeping in a different position.
    • Posted

It doesn't feel like muscle pain in like a pressure-pain feeling that goes to my throat sometimes and I have to sit upright and try to get thst bubble feeling out of my throat so I have to provoke burping for relief, but burping seems difficult it's like stuck in my back-throat,
  • Posted

You have some similar situations as I had 2 years ago.

My problem started with back pain, left side in the middle. I went through MRIs, Xrays, everything, and nothing was wrong. so i went to to the physiotherphy to solve the problem. later I got some pain inside my throat and my left side, then my stomach problems began!

I went to endoscopy and GP told me I have LES problems. When my stomach problems started, the back pain went away!

I am not saying that you will get any stomach problem or sth but try to take care of your stomach from now, I didnt!

Because of the stress of back pain I just tried to drink and smoke and all of these things leaded me to reflux and Functional Dyspepsia.

• Posted

Suggest you research peptic ulcers as your symptoms are a typical. There are some good books on this on Amazon. Agree with others that there are many dides to Gerd and we all appear to be different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.