Pressure sore due to tight cast

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 2yrs old niece 3weeks cast had been removed. But there is an intact black eschar on her heel. Is anyone here have the same problem? sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've not heard of anyone. I just googled it as never heard of it. What has doctor said. Would scare me. But a lot of things about this injury scares me. 

• Posted

Oh and I must say I didn't have cast on long enough to cause pressure. They kept putting it on wrong and I kept taking it off. 8 casts 5 I removed. 

• Posted

Yes i google it also and it is terrifying.. we didn't know that the cause of her pain is that pressure sore. We thought it is the fracture.. because some kids can't tell where is the exact location of their pain. We found it too late sad we just hope that it will heal soon and the fracture will not have some complications because of that too tight cast.. the next appointment in xray is on september. So we can't determine if the toddler fracture has no complications as of now. We just hope that she's fine.. sad

• Posted

The cast is off now I hope. Poor little tyke. Children should be regularly checked because they can't put into words what pain is.  Bloody surgeon who applied cast or supervised the application needs a bone broken. 

• Posted

The cast is off. We are planning to complain that bloody hell ortho. We asked him if the check up will be every week but he said after 3weeks. And when he saw that wound he said nothing to worry its just pressure sore it will heal just apply cream. But when we consult to my aunt that is a pediatrician she said it should be debride immediately..😠😠Tomorrow she will undergo surgical debridement. Operation for the removal of that black eschar.. poor little kid. We thought she can already walk after cast. We never thought of getting that sore that is terrifying sad we hope she will be fine. We missed her smile sad

• Posted

I work with children and there is no such thing as overreacting. They can't rate pain. My daughter said her tummy was sore. Emergency department said oh she's not crying. My reply was "she's not a crier , she never hurts. Check her please. Yep temp up to 39.1  after diagnosed appendicitis prep for surgery her appendix burst as they took them out." She never shed a tear. Surgeon said she should have been screaming. A child I cared for had third degree burns on torso from a severe allergic reaction to a new disposable nappy. The blistering was still occurring in  ED. And she never cried. She kept saying Ow sore. She also should have been screaming. we are our kids voice. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.