Pressure ulcer from cam walking boot

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

What a year! Had a knee scope in February, that same knee replaced in June, and opposite ankle scoped last Friday. Apparently they got all kinds of stuff out of there!

Because I have a history of pulmonary embolism after surgery, my surgeon skipped the heavy half-cast dressing and just wrapped it up in gauze with coban and then a cam walker boot to allow greater movement. I was told to always wear the boot when weight bearing, and I cooperated. However, the ankle bone on the outside of my ankle was SO PAINFUL that I went to see the office. Turns out there's a pressure ulcer from the steel bar that runs up the boot.

Anyone else experienced this? I never saw anything like this coming down the pike!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I have one on my heel at the moment. i just loosen the straps when I put it so it has room to swell. There are dressings you can put on it, that act as a second skin and protect the sore. Duoderm is what it's called in UK and Australia.

• Posted

Yes. When I went full weight in my boot I developed a pocket of fluid on top of my foot. It was so painful. I had to use the crutches because full weight wasnt happening

At PT they would apply heat, then massage

the area Took a couple of weeks but it finally corrected itself

• Posted

Today it looks like a big blood blister, and I think it cracked because nasty stuff is leaking out of it. And wow, it is more painful than anything they did to the ankle surgically. 😵

• Posted

That sounds more serious. You need to go to your GP for treatment. It will get infected if it's open a bit and has blood from it. I've had huge blood blisters on my right hip from an internal blood. The blister was a just as painful as the bleed! (1.5 litres).

Pls let us know what happens?

• Posted

I did go yesterday. The pain was driving me crazy and I knew there couldn't be a port right over my ankle bone! They removed the surgical dressing, made me a pressure relieving pad type of thing and told me to keep it elevated but NO ICE. It's apparently an SDTI (suspected deep tissue injury) pressure ulcer. I'm monitoring my temperature and will let them know if it creeps up at all. In the meantime, it's really gross! And I'm not too enthusiastic to put the cam boot back on.

• Posted

Wow that sounds awful

Im so sorry

I have this fluid like bump on top of my foot It comes and goes

I showed it to mt doctor the other day and he said its just swelling but it sometimes painful

Take care!!!

• Posted

i had fluid filled areas on my ankle. They are painful but eventually heal 😊

• Posted

Sounds horrid. Keep up with pain relief. I'd imagine less getting up, the better. currently in hospital for a hugely swollen left hip and buttock. I've had two open hip surgeries for sciatic nerve adhesions so my drs are concerned.

Hope it starts feeling better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.