Pressuring doctor wants me to have colonoscopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Positive for occult blood in stool doctor wants to do a colonoscopy, I personally don't like invasive body procedures. I have external hemorrhoid and feel a colonoscopy is a waste of my time and theirs. I have read the risks involved and quite frankly I have lived this long without any problems. I feel that any doctor who does 60 in a day is trying to make big bucks to pay for his yacht. So I hear the prep is awful and will not spend one dime on suprep. I have enough problems with soft stools and don't need to be spending my time on the toilet for hours on end. I feel in the end I will not follow thru, my life has been good and I don't need the anxiety.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jeanette

No one likes invasive procedures but if your Doctor has advised a colonoscopy you should have it done. You say you have soft stools?...that could be a symptom that there is a problem. What colour is the blood?..IF it is bright scarlet it is probably coming from near the anus ...maybe the hemorrhoid...but IF it is a darker colour this could be coming from deeper in the bowel. When you say your doctor is doing 60 a day and wants to pay for his yacht i think with respect you are making excuses. Your doctor would not advise a colonoscopy if it wasn`t needed. The procedure isn`t  as bad as you think, although the prep means regular visits to the toilet it will soon all be over and you will have peace of mind when its all over...regards...

• Posted

I see no blood anywhere it showed up on a iFOB test, not visible to the naked eye. I believe it came from the external hemorrhoid. I have soft stools due to IBSD.
  • Posted

Hi Jeannette,

i can can relate to your concerns,  I had one done I'm in uk last August.  I had bad tummy problems and a rectocele and they advised having one.  The Moviprep was honestly the worst bit but once the Moviprep was finished after an hour my  bowel movements stopped.  I had sedative but was just a bit drunk feeling.  It wasn't painful it was uncomfortable it was the two corners really but honestly I was so worried and anxious but when there everyone is so professional and kind and I was so glad I had it done.  It lasts ten years.  If I had occult blood I know I would want one doing my grandma died of colon cancer so I needed reassurance,  they do so many procedures it is only about one percent that cause problems.  You just pass a lot of wind after and everything seemed a lot better after,  I thought there was a far more reliable test now the FOB i think or is it that, I know in the UK they were changing it.  

• Posted

Personally If I was positive for occult blood in my stool I would be running to get a colonoscopy.  Yes the prep is uncomfortable but very worth it when you think that if you have colon cancer and they find it in time your life can be saved.  I had a friend that chalked the blood up to hemorroids and died two years later because it had already spread to other organs.  Colon cancer is a slow mover and the procedure itself is so quick.  I hope you re-think your decision not to get one.   Noone likes it but it is a lifesaver.  I truly do not believe all these physicians are trying to pay for their yachts.  I just thank God there is a test like this available.  If you are positive for occult blood and the Dr. didn't suggest a colonoscopy I would change drs.

• Posted

I feel your pain with this one, but I fear that it would be bad advice to skip it. I have had several of these due to Crohn's Disease and I don't like them at all. I find them painful, so I make sure that I have instructions on the consent form that protect me from pain and suffering. I put on my consent form that if I wake up they are to give me more pain medicine or they have to stop the exam. It needs to be in writing on the consent. Most likely you will not know what happened, but protect yourself. You may have polyps that are bleeding, if so they need to be removed. If they find nothing then you can blame the roids for it and not have another for a long time. So, I would get it done and then it will be behind you. Take care.

• Posted

If you have Crohn's then you are also aware of IBS-D, which I have lived with for quite sometime, not fun. I had a abdominal contrast ct scan with additional IV contrast a week ago the result negative. I have high blood pressure and asthma so this also scares me. I definitely don't want to be even slightly awake. I have a lung which is paritialy collapsed and this is also another concern. If I live another 10 years I would definitely be surprised. Thanks for your input

• Posted

A contrast CT Scan only shows up abnormal lumps approx pea size and above...so if you have a bleegdin polyp etc smaller than a pea it wouldn`t have shown up on the CT....BUT it would have been seen in a colonoscopy as it is a "LIVE" camera. If you have a bleeding polyp it can be nipped out during the colonoscopy and save you so much trouble (CANCER!)...a few years later.

• Posted

Thank you for your input. I made the appointment last month. I am scheduled at the end of this month for a colonoscopy, I have plenty of time to decide which way I want to go. Part of my frustration is doctors perform all these tests and find nothing. I just want to live my life without worrying about every little thing, unlike some people do. Enjoy life while you can. By the way I am not young if I was I would be most likely more concerned about it. Thank you again
  • Posted

No problem Jeannette...i am 61 soon and have had 6 colonoscopies and loads of contrast ct scans over the past 13 years....and have never had a problem with either....i am sure  you will make the right decision...in this case i would let your head rule your heart....any more advice let me know...regards....
  • Posted

Hi Jeannette,I am in a similar position as you,I have a bowel screening every two years (just had this years result -normal)and three weeks ago a stool test (normal) now the Dr wants me to have colonoscopy because I have alternating ibs-d & ibs-c I can't think why

• Posted

Colin well I caved in a did have the colonoscopy done after all, my daughters put the pressure on. Good thing they found serrated Sessile Polyps, now I am on the watch list every 2 years a colonoscopy, two had cancer cells. I have not had diarrhea since the colonoscopy or mucus, keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.