Pretty sure BV has already driven me mad

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 5 weeks ago, I hooked up with a new guy. Maybe 2 minutes unprotected *face palm*. Bout 5 days after, I got a thick white clumpy discharge and was IH-TCHY!; thought it was a yeast infection so I tried Monistat 1. 2 days of crazy bad itching, discharge stopped... then came back the very next day, EXTREMELY PURULENT, yellow, and obviously had globs of the Monistat powder in there.

By day 7, my good ol Aunt Flo arrived. Super short, super light, very unlike her... anywho. 2 weeks of this yellow discharge (normal odor but maybe a tad stronger?, no itch) I finally got an appt with my Gyno. She sent out a culture and it came back with Gardnerella; negative for all STDs. She started me on metronidazole 500mg PO BID. I took the last of that yesterday morning. I still have yellow discharge, albeit lesser, but now a stronger smell that I can’t for the life of me put a finger on... sometimes it’s a mild fishy odor if I’m grasping at straws and others it’s just musky almost? Heck, I couldn’t tell ya. (Also worth a note that I have had sex since with no pain and no obnoxious odor during/after which sounds like a key point for you guys?) Called the Gyno up and today they let me know they called in a weeks worth of doxycycline for me. I know that doxy doesn’t treat Gardnerella sooooo... I’m really hesitant to start it considering it’s known to kill off normal flora.  

Any of you ladies gotten doxy for “BV”? Did it work? Anybody misdiagnosed? Those of you whose BV cleared up after any antibiotic treatment, did your symptoms go away completely DURING treatment or some time after? 

I just started 50 mill culture lactobacillus this morning and I’ve been eating lots of Greek yogurt but thinking of adding boric acid vaginal suppositories in there for good measure because I’m crazy and I’ve been reading way too fricken much about this... but! From what I read, it seems like metronidazole may not be effective because treatment isn’t long enough. I’ve read articles from respected Gyno’s about women being on twice daily dosing for 2 weeks, then a couple times a month or something for months to follow which helped with recurrence. Also, lactobacillus is really important too, it’s the “good” flora which antibiotics can kill off, leaving your hooha a place where evil thrives. They also said that metronidazole (orally), the lactobacillus, and boric acid suppositories are a killer trio. They also say that you can’t accurately diagnose BV based on a culture and that you need to find a Gyno who can look at your wet mount under a microscope in-office, do a ph test, and a whiff test. All of these doctors said that’s extremely critical! All information I haven’t seen anyone post, so thought it was worth a share so you can ask your doctors about this stuff. Ooh! They also said not to use the Clindamycin topically and I forget why now... 

As horrid as this is, I really don’t want this to be my first post of many on this topic as it seems many of you have suffered through this for so long to no avail... and y’all scarin me. Any comments or advice, I’ll take anything! 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Simonne,

I have used Greek yoghurt in the vagina.  I have put some on a tampon.  This has helped me.  As well as sitting in a tub of warm water with sea-salt.  I have, as well used bicarbonate of soda with apple cider vinega in a tub of water, both times for about 15 minutes daily for two consecutive days. I have used ph balance from chemists mixed with Greek yoghurt, drops of hydrogen peroxide on a tampon at night once.  I have used tea tree oil.  I am okay now.  I did read that goldenseal tincture may help.  I have this but am lucky enough to be well at the moment.  Antibiotic use can cause systemic candida which is unpleasant, very painful and debilitating.  Greek yoghurt can get rid of candida in the vagina.  For everywhere else I have used fluconazole oral tablet (one). 

Get better soon.

• Posted

Isn’t it bad to put stuff up the vagina? I’ve heard so many things about women having burning up there after trying these remedies and I’m so scared to try this. Unfortunately I’m on Metrodinazole this week because of bv and I wish it would never come back just like everyone wished as well. Are you currently sexually active? 
  • Posted

Hi hun!! I know this is driving you wild and I feel your pain. Try a peroxide or ACV douche (Google it). After try to replace all the good bacteria, because the ACV and peroxide will kill ALL Eat some yogurt, take some good probiotics, I have even heard of some people inserting tampons with yogurt up there and also some even taking the live culture good bacteria and pitting it up there as well. Good luck.

Side note: I have never seen yellow discharge w/ BV. Make sure you weren't misdiagnosed so you can be sure you're treating the right thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.