Prevent Blood clots after ankle surgery.

Posted , 15 users are following.

A person just responded to my pre and post ankle surgery question she said she had to give herself anti blood clotting injections . No one else so far has mentioned that they had to do this . This is really concerning me.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Susan, where abouts are you up too post-op wise? If you are PWB or FWB the chances of getting a clot/DVT/PE are automatically reduced due to the fact that your using muscles to pump the blood though your calves and thighs. You can never rule it out 100% but the chances are reduced.
    • Posted

I guess you mean can I bear weight . Non weight bearing but I am getting up and down to the bathroom and into the kitchen . I have surgery tomorrow. Thank you for responding.
    • Posted

I would ask the Drs looking after you tomorrow about the infections. Hope all goes well with the op.
  • Posted

I used the compression stockings and taking a baby aspirin every single day and 14 weeks postop I still am taking baby aspirin
    • Posted

Thank you I will get some compresson stockings and ask the Doc what milligram aspirin to take when I get home.
    • Posted

81mg of aspirin every morning. And you're welcome! 🙏🏼🙏🏼

• Posted

I was given injections to take one a day in my stomach for 30 days after surgery
  • Posted

I had to have the injections for 28 days after my op, as others have said it is normal here in the U.K.,and then I went straight onto 'mini' aspirin for a month. I had a trans- Atlantic flight 3 days after my plaster came off. Everybody is different and I could not wear a compression stocking because my leg was swollen all the way up to my groin. If you are worried about a clot please ask your doctor for advice. I 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.