Preventative Tamoxifen

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

Does anyone have any experience with taking Tamoxifen as a preventative measure against breast cancer?

Im 49, had a hysterectomy 10 years ago, and have a family history of breast cancer. Had a letter from genetics today to explain the figures re the reduction rates. 

Thank you for reading this 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Coffee cup!

I have not taken Tamoxifin, but have taken two aromatase inhibitors,

Anastrozole and Exemestane. The adverse effects are similar, except that Tamoxifin also increases your risk for DVT and stroke, so I was placed first on Anastrazole, then Exemestane.

I had intraductal carcinoma of my left breast, had a partial mastectomy, radiation, and was initially placed on Anastrazole, which I could not tolerate at all. I had deep bone and muscular pain. I have had severe Neurogenic pain in the past, kidney stones, shingles, and child birth, but the pain from Anastrazole was unbearable. I switched to Exemestane, and have aches and pains, but it is toleable. My identical twin, who has the same diagnosis and treatment at the identical time is on Lectrozole, and experiences the same aches and pains.

The aromatase inhibitors are superior in that there is no stroke or clot risk, and deliver the same preventative or lowering of recurrent cancer profile. They are more expensive, which is why Physicians promote Tamoxifin. I have had two strokes, so cannot take Tamoxifin.

The other issue with all of these is they deplete you of ALL YOUR ESTROGEN, so you are vaginally dry, lose sexual desire, and feel hot all the time. You may feel somewhat depressed.

PLEASE, ask any other questions.

I am a nurse practitioner in the States.

Best Wishes.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Tamoxifen, the generic name of Nolvadex, is the oldest and most-prescribed SERM. Tamoxifen is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat:

women and men diagnosed with hormone-receptor-positive, early-stage breast cancer after surgery (or possibly chemotherapy and radiation) to reduce the risk of the cancer coming back (recurring)

women and men diagnosed with advanced-stage or metastatic hormone-receptor-positive disease

Tamoxifen also is used to:

reduce breast cancer risk in women who haven't been diagnosed but are at higher-than-average risk for disease

Tamoxifen won't work on hormone-receptor-negative breast cancer.

Tamoxifen is a pill taken once a day. Most doctors recommend taking tamoxifen at the same time each day. Tamoxifen is also available as a liquid under the brand name Soltamox.

You should not take tamoxifen if you are breastfeeding, pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or if there is any chance that you could be pregnant. Tamoxifen may cause damage to developing embryos. You should use an effective non-hormonal type of birth control -- such as condoms, a diaphragm along with spermicide, or a non-hormonal I.U.D. – while you are taking tamoxifen and for 2 months afterward. Ask your doctor which type of non-hormonal birth control would be best for you.

Since its approval in 1998, tamoxifen has been used to treat millions of women and men diagnosed with hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer. While an aromatase inhibitor is the first hormonal therapy medicine choice for postmenopausal women, tamoxifen is the first choice for premenopausal women and is still a good choice for postmenopausal women who can't take an aromatase inhibitor.

Tamoxifen can:

reduce the risk of breast cancer coming back by 40% to 50% in postmenopausal women and by 30% to 50% in premenopausal women

reduce the risk of a new cancer developing in the other breast by about 50%

shrink large, hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers before surgery

slow or stop the growth or advanced (metastatic) hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer in both pre- and postmenopausal women

lower breast cancer risk in women who have a higher-than-average risk of disease but have not been diagnosed

Tamoxifen offers other health benefits that aren't related to treating cancer. Because it's a SERM, it selectively either blocks or activates estrogen's action on specific cells. While tamoxifen blocks estrogen's action on breast cells, it activates estrogen's action in bone and liver cells. So tamoxifen can:

help stop bone loss after menopause

lower cholesterol levels

Some people may not get the full benefit of tamoxifen

The body uses an enzyme called CYP2D6 to convert tamoxifen into its active form. Two things can interfere with the body’s ability to make this happen: a flaw in the CYP2D6 enzyme and certain medications that block the effectiveness of this enzyme.

Abnormal CYP2D6 enzyme: About 10% of people have a CYP2D6 enzyme that doesn’t function as well as it should. Having an abnormal CYP2D6 enzyme might keep a person from getting the full benefit of tamoxifen. You may want to ask your doctor about being tested for this enzyme abnormality if you are considering taking tamoxifen. Still, CYP2D6 testing is controversial because several large studies found that an abnormal CYP2D6 enzyme didn’t affect tamoxifen’s effectiveness. Together, you and your doctor can decide if CYP2D6 testing makes sense for your unique situation.

Medications that can interfere with CYP2D6: There are medications that can block the activity of CYP2D6 to varying degrees (usually stated as “strong” or “moderate” inhibitors of CYP2D6). These medications include some of the antidepressants known as serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). There are also other types of commonly prescribed medications, such as Cardioquin (chemical name: quinidine), Benadryl (chemical name: diphenhydramine), and Tagamet (chemical name: cimetidine), that can block CYP2D6. Blocking the activity of CYP2D6 can interfere with the activation of tamoxifen reducing its effectiveness as an anti-cancer treatment. Most doctors recommend that you avoid taking strong and moderate inhibitors of CYP2D6 while you’re on tamoxifen.

If you have already finished tamoxifen and you were taking other medications at the same time, make an appointment to talk with your doctor about whether any of your other medications may have interfered with CYP2D6 and the potential benefit you received from tamoxifen. Your doctor may recommend no additional therapy or extended hormonal therapy (with tamoxifen or an aromatase inhibitor) depending on your risk of recurrence, your overall medical condition, and your preferences.

If you were taking tamoxifen because you are at high risk but have never been diagnosed, and you were also taking a CYP2D6 inhibitor, your doctor may now recommend additional anti-estrogen therapy with tamoxifen or Evista (chemical name: raloxifene), depending on your menopausal status. Talk to your doctor about what’s best for your situation.

If you had progression of breast cancer while on both tamoxifen and a strong or moderate CYP2D6 inhibitor, you can’t assume that tamoxifen failed to work. Rather, it’s possible that tamoxifen never had a fair chance at getting the cancer under control because its action was blocked by the other medicine. Moving forward, tamoxifen, without a CYP2D6 inhibitor, may still provide significant benefit

Be sure to check out the how to reduce further complications for women in their 40s below. Have a great day.

https://tinyurl.com/ydbzeg74

https://tinyurl.com/y9hydqju

• Posted

Hi Coffeecup

Seems as though you haven't had breast cancer yourself, but theres a family Hx ?  I can't speak to your situation but what Merry stated in her case is similar to mine.  Can only add that Tamoxifen also increases risk of uterine cancer.  This and the fact that its inhibitory percentage isn't as high as the 3rd generation aromatase inhibitors.  The latter, simply stated, works by preventing cancer from using estrogen which it needs to grow.

I'm currently on anastrazole/generic brand so cost is lower, (live in Canada and have a somewhat restrictive insurance that insists on using generic unless otherwise stated by a doctor).  Yes, the joint pain and sudden stabbing pains, (not a constant issue) are annoying and make sleep difficult if you move around during the night.  When you go to turn, you wake up and the joint pain tends to make turning incomfortable and slow.

Was initially on anastrazole at the end of all Tx and stopped due to the pain as I was simply fed up and and had no more tolerance for discomfort.  Went to Tamox for a year and a bit and went back to anastrazole due to the 100% efficiency, (after discussing with doc) and I figure I'll live with the discomfort for the 5-10 years that I'll have to take the medication rather than go through it all again. 

You have to make the choice based on your situation and what you're comfortable with, maybe research both medications to be well informed and for your own peace of mind.

Wish you all the best,

Sylvia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.