Preventing prolapse worsening

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone know if you can use a ring / pessary type thing to support a prolapse while the scar tissue is strengthening post surgery? Worried that it’s coming back and really don’t want a 4th operation! Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, Sarah - mine did come back three years later and I am like you and will not have another surgery - so, a pessary works just great for me!  Each surgery, while it might repair the apparent problem, will leave damage somewhere and that's what happened to me.  How long after the last surgery are you?

• Posted

3 weeks! Just wondered if a pessary would support the prolapse while the scar tissue knitted together. Op before that was only October!
  • Posted

3 weeks!  You are nowhere near healed!!!  and I am quite sure no doctor would allow a pessary while the scar tissue is forming.  You will just have to be patient and wait AND, take very good care of yourself, no lifting, pushing, straining, even bending over for the next months.  I had one surgery and then bled so heavily I had to go for another on the same day.  I recovered slowly, but pretty well until my husband had a huge medical emergency and I was on my feet for a whole month caring for him - thus, the return of the prolapse.  That's how sensitive the recovery is.  It takes a very long time for us to heal from these surgeries...

• Posted

I know I’m nowhere near healed.  I was just wondering if you could use something as support while you healed. I’m sorry to hear about your problems. Such unfortunate timing!  It’s a nightmare how long it all takes to heal. It feels like 1 wrong move and you’ve blown it. 
    • Posted

Thank you - and yes, I think you are right - one wrong move...so take your time, Sarah...
  • Posted

Oh my goodness...do not know but will check it out and get back to you.
  • Posted

Hi, Sarah,

I understand your concern that you will accidentally do  something to mess up your repair, but I am fairly sure the doctor would not want you to introduce a non sterile object of any kind into your vagina before  all your repairs  have healed. I understand your thinking, though, kind of like a sling protects the sprained or broken arm. If you decide to ask your doctor, would love to know what the reply would be. Meanwhile, just allow yourself to be a “kept” woman. It truly is hard when we are accustomed to doing so much but allowing others to care for us is the best gift we can give ourselves while we heal. Prayers for you to have peace of mind and complete healing !??🙏

• Posted

How many repairs Sarah? Definitely no way will he allow anything inside your healing vagina.

If give it 12 weeks before your safely out the woods..best thing to do is be over cautious..if your consultant told you 6 wks I would easily add another 6 on top.

I had my tvh and second anterior repair in ja n and I still have fine material coming away.. The first repair failed through fault of my own..I did nothing for 6 wks and really watched myself.. I think it was the technique the Surgery used.x

• Posted

This is my 1st posterior via vagina. Had hysterectomy and anterior 1st. That all collapsed so in October had the mesh that they don’t use anymore to support vault, anterior and posterior via c section. Now this.  I’m trying not to do too much but it’s tricky as I’m a single mum with 3 kids and a dog. Kind of feel like I’m trying to shut the door after the horse has bolted. When do you start to see the stitches? I’ve not seen any yet. 
    • Posted

Stitches started to come away with me at 6 wks.I

I am 5 months and still have internal ones coming away now and then. We are all different hun.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.