Preventing UTI infections

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was plagued for years with regular urinary tract infections, particularly following intercourse. About four years ago my doctor eventually suggested I took a daily cranberry tablet (5,000 mg), and also prescribed "Nitrofantoin", an antibiotic single dose to be taken after intercourse. Since then I have not had a single UTI infection. If necessary (or diabetic etc) two cranberry tablets can be taken. I usually buy them on eBay but chemists stock them too. I thought it was worth passing this on as it's such a miserable condition and was quite putting me off having intercourse.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Well done to your doctor! So many hand out loads of antibiotics when they're probably not needed.

I'm very happy that this regime works for you and hope that your post will help others who are plagued by this misery.

For over a year I seemed to have non-stop utis and felt everyone at work was laughing at me because I had to walk through the office to get to the loo (again????) every 10 minutes. I handed in my notice as I fancied a more outdoors type of job anyway. On my last day there I was chatting to a girl my age who also took a lot of time off sick and she said she had constant urine infections! I'll never know if it was something to do with her as I knew my hygiene was very good but I guess a microbe on a tap or door handle can be missed. Anyway, I never had another attack after I left there so make of that what you will!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.