Prevention advice needed for UTIs in a woman in her sixties

Posted , 6 users are following.

First time on this forum and I'm so pleased to see that I'm not alone in suffering with lots of UTIs. Im not sexually active so that isn't the cause. I am very careful to wash after opening my bowels, to pee about an hour after doing the same in case any germs have got inside my bladder but still get UTIs. I bet Ive had 5 this year and its only April. Do people find probiotics or prebiotics work? Ive not had any joy with cranberry tablets or juice.All suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sat here waiting for GP practice to ring me back re what will be my 4th UTI this year. 

I am in the same boat, Christine, have followed all the usual advice & guidelines, not tried probiotics yet though. Definitely have had more recurrence since stopping HRT 2 years ago, although I've been having them since the age of about 18. 

I don't really want any investigations, have a feeling catheters & the like are not going to improve the situation! I'm sure there is a familial trait. I remember my mum suffering a lot. Note to self, not sure if my 34 year old daughter suffers too, she's never mentioned it, but I will definitely talk to her about it when I next see her. 

Any new suggestions would be most welcome. I don't like the way it is impacting on me now. I would be happy to try the low dose antibiotic for 6 months to see if that helps. 

• Posted

I'm trying probiotic tablets starting this evening and have ordered D-mannose from Amazon, whatever that is, but I saw it recommended on this forum. Anything to avoid having to take these antibiotic courses. Talking of which, my GP now prescribes a shorter course, following national guidelines Im sure, which never completely clears it up so inevitably I get a follow-on infection. I think I had a UTI for the whole of March and another one or two in April. This cannot go on! I only had three last year so really thought Id cracked it. I have to carry a 'bidet kit' with me when I go out for the day and then find a disabled toilet to wash myself if I've opened my bowels. Do others do this?

• Posted

Oh ...my mother never suffered at all even though she had three children as against my two, but her births were relatively straight forward, not forcepts with lots of damage like mine. Im pretty sure my daughter, sho has never had children, doesn't suffer from it. 

• Posted

Ooh I'm liking the sound of a bidet kit! Though not sure what it entails 😂 We had a bidet in our last house,- moved 3 years ago, I'm sure I was the only one who  used it - I definitely think it might have prevented a few infections now I think about it. 

I don't  think its birth related , with me anyway, I've had three normal deliveries.

Now spoke to practice nurse who has prescribed more ABX, to collect at 5pm. She's recommending I see GP for a discussion re investigations. ( I'm not keen-  apart from ruling out anything sinister, I can't see the point of telling what you already know, 

it will be interesting to see if the probiotics help  - I really hope they do. Good luck! 

• Posted

I got the idea of a bidet kit after reading Angela Martin's excellent book called Cystitus, many years ago. Because UTIs are caused by minute traces of faeces getting into the bladder and muliplying, she advocated washing the area thoroughly after opening your bowels. She called it 'bottle washing' and its illustrated in the book. Basically the kit comprises a small bottle of anit-bacterial handwash, an empty plastic bottle and a flanel for drying yourself afterwards.  You have to wash by hand and then, whilst still sat on the loo, tip a bottle of warm water from front to back so that any remaining faeces washes down into the toilet basin.This all fits into a toilet bag I take with me at all times and as long as the toilet has a handwash basin then its possible to do. Generally I use a disabled toilet though I do sometimes get some odd looks when I come out, being perfectly able bodied. I do the same sort of thing at home of course. Then drink lots so that I can pee about an hour afterwards to hopefully wash any stray germs out. I've just bought some Beneffect probiotic tablets that I must take before bed so will start those tonight. Will keep the forum informed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.