Previous b12 deficiency, now having symptoms again. w long does it take to become deficient in b12?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Last year I finally went to the doctors after having some vague symptoms for quite a while, such as tiredness, dizzy spells, occasional blurred vision and an occasional "weakness" type feeling in my hands. I had various blood tests done and it was discovered that I had a b12 deficiency. The doctor prescribed one b12 injection per week for 6 weeks and after this the blood test was repeated and I was told that the b12 was back to an acceptable level. This was back in august. It's now march, and I feel like I'm having some of the symptoms again. Not so much the fatigue, but I keep getting a feeling of weakness in my left hand and lower arm and have started having dizzy spells again, which is the main symptom. It happens at least once a day, sometimes more, but usually only lasts a couple of seconds. I also get weird palpitations sometimes too, it feels like a flutter in my chest or as though my heart skips a beat. And I'm also nearly always constipated (TMI sorry) and I get really bloated and uncomfortable after even a small meal or snack. Is it possible for my b12 to have run low again already? I've read before that supplies usually last a really long time, usually years, so not sure if I could be deficient again after just 7 months, but all the symptoms are the same as last time. I eat a normal diet including loads of meat and fish and last time I was deficient they did an antibody test (not sure what it was for?) on my blood sample which was normal.

How long do b12 supplies usually last in the body? Is it possible that my level is low again already and if so, what could be causing it to keep running out if I eat a normal diet?

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It seems your doctor has not followed the usual protocol for treating B12 deficiency.

He ought to have given you the six injections over a two week period, these are called "loading doses". Then a repeat blood test is done after four to six weeks to assess how well the body is retaining the B12. Then you would expect to have a regular injection every three months, or more frequently if you have neurological symptoms.

We usually have a good store of B12 in our liver, the reasons you got low in the first place don't appear to have anything to do with your diet. It sounds as though your body is failing to extract the B12 from your food. You say you have digestive issues, and this may be where the problem lies? The antibody test is very unreliable, and it can have several negative results before you get a positive one. The antibody they are looking for is directly responsible for interfering with B12 absorption.

i suggest you make another appointment with your doctor and ask for him to repeat the B12 blood test, and the antibody test, plus get him to check ferritin and folate levels as these are needed to aid B12 absorption.

it would be a good idea for you to look at the Pernicious Anaemia Society website and print the list of symptoms out. You can tick any that apply to you, and take it with you to the doctor.

Unfortunately many GP's have a very limited knowledge of B12 deficiency and it's causes and symptoms. To have reached a level low enough to need treatment means you have used up the stored B12 from your liver, and if you are unable to replace it, any injected B12 will not last you very long.

My own GP has me on six weekly injections, and there are some people that need it more often than that.

B12 is needed by every cell in the body, when levels are low for a long time, the protective coating on the nerves ( the myelin sheath) can begin to deteriorate causing all kinds of problems. Numbness, pins and needles, loss of balance, breathlessness, severe tiredness, blurry vision, foggy thought processes, muscle weakness, to name a few.

Please go back to your doctor and ask for more help.

Best wishes

Marion 

• Posted

"In a normal healthy person the stomach lining has what are called "Gastric parietal cells" which produce "Intrinsic Factor" which travels with food through the small intestine which is made up of three parts - the Duodenum, the Jejunum and the Ilium.. Iron is absorbed in the Duodenum, most other nutrients in the Jejunum and our friend B12 in the Ilium. Here the Intrinsic Factor binds to the B12 and the "B12/IF Complex" enters the cells on the wall of the Ilium after binding to receptors on the surface of the Ileal cells, allowing it to enter the blood stream.

Sadly some people with "traditional P,A." either do not produce Intrinsic Factor or if they do, they also produce an antibody which destroys it and it is then called "Autoimmune Pernicious Anaemia". In addition it can happen that we produce "Parietal cell Antibodies" and "Intrinsic Factor Antibodies" which totally wipes out any chance of absorbing the B12"

I "lived" for 13 years between having two thirds of my stomach removed and being diagnosed B12 deficient with Pernicious Anaemia 45 years ago by which time I was a walking Zombie.

Do as Marion says and go back to your doctor and ask for the tests mentioned in the extract above if ror nothing else but to rule out P.A. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.