Previous Pulmonary Embolisms and Pregnancy

Posted , 6 users are following.

In October 2014, I was diagnosed with several small blood clots on my left lung. I could a 6 month course of "blood thinning" tablets to clear them. I had a chest scan done after finishing them and was all clear.

I've recently found out I'm pregnant. I remember the doctor saying I'd have to be careful if I got pregnant, when I was diagnosed with the clots. But as I had no intentions of ever having children, I didn't ask for further details.

Saw the midwife for my first appointment last week and she has made an urgent referral to the hospital due to medical history.

Am I likely to get medication or chest scans while pregnant? I'm worried about what these will do to the baby, and if I am put in "blood thinning" medication, what effect it will have when I'm in labour.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks smile

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

My daughter was diagnosed with a PE, bilateral in her lungs about five months ago.  She is now off of Lovenox, but when she decides to get pregnant she must start Lovenox again.  It's the only blood thinner that should be taken when pregnant.  And she will continue with Lovenox six weeks after birth as well.  

• Posted

My daughter in law was on lovenox throughout her pregnancy and had a bouncing baby girl. Neither suffered any ill effects.

HTH Peter

• Posted

Yes, Lovenox is safe to take during pregnancy.  My daughter's hematologist said that is the only blood thinner to take while pregnant
  • Posted

I've never heard of lovenox. Is it available worldwide or only certain places? I'm in the UK
  • Posted

I don't know.  We're here in New York, USA.  I guess you'd have to ask your hematologist
    • Posted

Well, I can only tell you what my daughter has gone through and all of her doctors, since having the blood clot in her lungs, have told her, not advised, but told her, she must be on Lovenox while pregnant.  There is too much risk of having another clot while pregnant.  And six weeks after birth there's a risk as well, that's why Lovenox while pregnant and six weeks after.  I would certainly talk to your doctors about your risk and let them advise you what to do.  
    • Posted

Thank you. I will be discussing with the doctor/midwife at next appointment. Just wanted to see if anyone had been in the same situation smile
    • Posted

Hi, there is a facebook page that might help, full of all sorts of experience. Search on the internet starting DVT, PE & Thrombosis Awareness Uk & Ireland. Also Thrombosis UK has lots to offer in terms of advice.

Good Luck, sheila.

• Posted

Yes, please  speak with your doctors/midwife about this.  Good luck to you!!!
  • Posted

Lovenox is a modified type of Heparin. I believe its effects last longer. Lovenox is a brand name. I think (but not sure) that is the UK it is termed "low molecular weight" heparin. 
  • Posted

Hi there,

Please try not to worry, I had a large clot and was on warfain for 6 Mths and within a few weeks I got multiple clots in both lungs, I was on clexane injections for 6 Mths then fell pregnant. I still inject everyday with 150ml of clexane I'm 27 weeks pregnant now and everything is all fine, the midwife and doctors are all so helpful, the plan is I will have a normal delivery to minimise the bleeding so fingers crossed everything goes the way they plan. I have the clots still in my lungs now but being pregnant does give u a higher risk of getting them! I am on blood thinner for the rest of my life my injections will be changed to rivearoxban when I have had the baby!

Hope this settles you in some way, but please don't panic they deal with people like as more than you think.

Good luck

Amanda

• Posted

hi 

nlot too sure on that one but hpe everyfin works out for u its very scarey am always ere if u wnt to chat best wishes smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.