prickly pain in hands...need help!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I need some Help!!.ive had a full count blood test and everthing came back normal apart from very low vitamin D which was 13..doctor has prescribed tablets which I have to take 2 times a week also I have cod liver tablets which I'm taking daily...but I'm still wondering if this could be the cause for my symptoms which are still on going for past 1 month I've been getting prickly/stabbing feeling in my hands and also tingling in hands and feet.ive asked my doctor and he said "might be more studies are being done for this"whatever that means,also my B12 test was 390 but the range goes upto 710 but he said b12 levels are fine..just want to know are They?I've tries staying away from Dr Google but I've been finding myself looking up the symptoms and it's coming up as peripheral neuropathy problem which is scary...but it says that normally starts in the feet and can effect hands,I am not diabetic I'm a 29 year old male...can someone plz give advice,is this a vitamin D deficiency..I can’t belive how’s something can start so spontaneously...with no hisorty of injury or illness has anyone else had similar symptoms??

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have peripheral neuropathy too. I was told it's pretty common and not really any good treatment. I have only had a back surgery around 20 years ago. No big deal. Now both my feet are real cold from front of heal to tip of toes. Cramps in legs too. I was taking cholesterol meds which have statins. Statin side effects will cause numbing and tingling in limbs. I've been off statins a month last be just a tad better. Now a waiting game. I feel pretty fortunate though I really have no pain yet.

• Posted

Hi Bryan how u find relief...if I do have this they say it normally starts in the feet..which I don’t have any pain(thankfully)apart from slight tingling,but the pain is in my hands..I wonder if anyone else has similar issues 
  • Posted

B12 deficiency can cause tingling in hands and feet but if your doctor has said your levels are fine, you should believe and trust.your doctor who is more expert in these matters than we are on this site.  Your test result backs up what your doctor told you. If your levels were not fine, your doctor would have told you and would have suggested treatment.

Don’t google your symptoms; it will make you very anxious. I have had neuropathy in both arms and hands from injuries for years and thus far I haven’t found anything that helps other than the hot Italian sun.  I was offered low dose antidepressants but I decided against them because I don’t want to cause myself more problrms with side effects.

• Posted

My issue is not really the tingling,it’s the spontaneous zaps of pain I have in my hands,my anxiety has been in over drive today as I’m not sure what has brought on these symptoms and why after a month they are still here!!!the only thing is the very low vitamin D defecincey,but I’m sure if they can bring these symptom on
    • Posted

I have these zaps of pain in my hands too; it is part of neuropathy.   I googled low vitamin d and it doesn’t cause neuropathic symptoms. It only mentions bone pain and muscle weakness.   I had my vitamin d levels checked and they came back normal.   There can be many causes of neuropathy: injury, medication, exposure to toxins and illnesses such as diabetes or MS.   Trapped nerves can also cause neuropathic symptoms.

Anxiety can cause pain and make existing pain worse so try to keep calm and don’t worry about the cause.  Just carry on doing the things you enjoy.

Sometimes nerves heal on their own; it can take three months. In other cases they only partiially heal or don’t heal at all.  

In my case, my left arm was  extremely painful for two months and it was constant.  Now the pain comes and goes, but when I get a flare up, it can be just as bad as on the day of the blood test which caused the injury in the first place.  Touching the area or flexing my arm can also trigger the pain and radiate it up to my shoulder. My other arm got neuropathy from falling on my elbow.

Neuropathy can be very annoying especially in cold weather but I found the only thing  you can do is to accept it.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply your information is helpful,..Can I ask you one question does neuropathy effect all four limbs and is worse at night.?I can have a full night sleep since all this began, only last night with the extra anxiety I didn’t sleep well...plus I don’t have any pain in my feet
    • Posted

The neuropathy is only in my arms and hands and is often worse at night and in cold weather.  Apparently, this is common with neuropathy.  
  • Posted

Hi Shak,

I had a similar experience and with my symptoms starting as cold/number feet, then hands, then onto a myriad of other symptoms. After seeing many doctors and trying lots of treatments, the root cause was my neck. I believe since I had a computer job, poor posture, staring at my phone, and terrible posture. It impacted nerves in my neck and that can cause almost anything it seems.

The good news is I am fine now, the bad news is it took 2-3 years. But if I had found out the cause earlier, I'm sure I could cut that time in half at least.

I don't know know if it's the same thing you have but, if it is , then seeing physical therapist, massage therapy, chiropractor, general exercise, would help.

From a diagnostic perspective, getting an MRI of the neck and an EMG test may be helpful.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hey thanks for the reply did you feel any pain in your neck or was it only in your hands...I also have a similar computer job long hours,it is something I would look into...plus you feel better now,means you don’t have any nerve damage which is great...I want to get on top of this ASAP as I would like to avoid any long term issues...neuropathy seems more likely but I can’t understand how I would have developed it not diabetic no injury I don’t think I have MS...,maybe I am barking up the wrong tree,I just want this pain to stop!!!
    • Posted

Once or twice I have had pains at the nape of my neck.and occasional stabbing and burning down my shoulder blade which can feel like a hot poker being stabbed into me. I think though the nerves are short circuiting because of the type of sensations I get including numbness sometimes from my shoulder downwards.  So I suspect I have some sort of nerve damage.  Once, I lost sensation and power in my hand while holding a glass and I was lucky to put it down on time.

With heavy computer use, you can get repetitive strain injury or carpal tunnel syndrome which can cause these sensations too. 

• Posted

For quite a while I had no neck pain whatsoever which is why I never considered it as the source. Only after several months did i start to feel any pain and then my other symptoms subsided.

I would suggest you get these two tests done and, if they show any significant problems with nerve compression or cervical spine issues, take them to a good chiropractor and they can help you get a combo or treatment, physical and massage therapy to start healing.

In the meantime, if you have a desk job, you can start working on exercises to help improve you posture (tons on youtube).

• Posted

Hi I woke up with tingling feet within hours it spread up to knees then into both hands been there ever since nine stop not a second without 14 months today it is a nightmare I've had every test brain mri clear nerve studies clear bloods clear there are many like this diagnosed in end with idiopathic small fibre damage with no cause found I'm so fed up

• Posted

Hi dawn sorry to hear about your symptoms,I wish you find relief... I don't have the typical sings of small finer neuropathy...i can sleep during the night also my symptoms are predominatly in my hands,I've taken a dose of amitriptyline tonight which seems to have work,at the minute I'm not having any discomfort

• Posted

I've been on and off with amitriptyline the first night I take it I have a good sleep then it doesn't have that effect I've mostly been on nothing as I have been pregnant and didn't want to risk taking anything my baby is healthy thankfully even though I've had this throughout you need to get a nerve study done ask your gp have bloods diabetes take a b12 supplement your b12 is still low but normal under 500 in a lot of countries they will treat as deficiency it also helps heal nerves if they are damaged vit d doesn't cause those symptoms believe me I've looked into everything to treat this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.