Prickly/stabbing feeling in hands vitamin D deficiency??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I need some Help!!.ive had a full count blood test and everthing came back normal apart from very low vitamin D which was 13..doctor has prescribed tablets which I have to take 2 times a week also I have cod liver tablets which I'm taking daily...but I'm still wondering if this could be the cause for my symptoms which are still on going for past 1 month I've been getting prickly/stabbing feeling in my hands and also tingling in hands and feet.ive asked my doctor and he said "might be more studies are being done for this"whatever that means,also my B12 test was 390 but the range goes upto 710 but he said b12 levels are fine..just want to know are They?I've tries staying away from Dr Google but I've been finding myself looking up the symptoms and it's coming up as peripheral neuropathy problem which is scary...but it says that normally starts in the feet and can effect hands,I am not diabetic I'm a 29 year old male...can someone plz give advice,is this a vitamin D deficiency..has anyone else had similar symptoms??

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It could be vit D deficiency and that is why your doctor has started with the obvious thing. If that doesn't work, he'll move on to the next option. I imagine the tablets he has given you are very high dose - so I'm not sure adding cod liver oil as well is a good idea. However, it can take several weeks before you will notice a difference, there is a big stoage bucket to fill up if you are very deficient! Some people have found it takes even 3 or 4 months.

Just be patient. I know it is difficult but these things do take a bit of time.

• Posted

Thanks foe the reply Eileen..im on the 20,000 2 times a week,I've asked about the cod liver he said it was fine as he did recommend oily fish.

• Posted

That's OK then! I detest cod liver oil!!!!

• Posted

My doctor made me go on a course of very high level vitamin D and it had awful side affects making me so weak that I could not stand up from cinema set with out help. I looked on Patience and found that a number of others had similar problems . I went back to the doctor who sent me to a neurologist . I had five blood tests , a head and neck MRI scan and tests on leg and nerves on legs . He immediately put me on 3 vitamin B compound strong tablets . My results came back  saying there was nothing wrong with me so perhaps the vitamin B pills sorted it out. Rhodri.
  • Posted

My symptoms were weak legs and slight trembling in hands, both worse first thing in  the morning. I seem to be  ok now. The only thing that has altered is taking moderate dose of vitamin B which according to the neurologist is good for the nerves. Rhodri.
  • Posted

Hi. I know how difficult it is to have these symptoms and not a diagnosis. I had the same symptoms but my b12 was lower, 209. I was seen by 15 doctors, one thought it was MS. I googled my symptoms and tried testing for b12. That's how i found out. I had b12 injections and 5 years later still have to take b12 pills. I have some secuela but I can walk now fine. At least! 

Please read this article about diagnosing b12 deficiency and low normal ranges with symptoms. Also please visit  http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=30379

And 

http://www.b12d.org

Your vit D is also low. Keep on with your treatment. 

B12 is available anywhere in USA. I prefer methylcobalamin. I take 5000mcg every other day, because I have absorption problems but b12 is non toxic. 

• Posted

Do you think lanszaprazole could have contribute to this...ive been taking this on and off for few years...but a year n half about I was getting bouts of vomiting...doctor put me on lanzaprosle 30mg daily and I had been taking it everyday since..maybe being on these tablets gave me these symptoms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.