Prilosec

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys, here is something worth bringing up to your HH doctor, I recently went on a regiment of prilosec everyday. I was diagnosed with HH in April of this year with ferritin level of 3075. I was going up n down for a couple months until I went on Prilosec for 3 full months... after the first month my levels went from 2055 down to 1195 and then this month down to 639. My iron went from 195 to 137. saturation from 88% to 61 %. If you look up side effects of prolong use it states iron absorption, may cause low iron. I'm taking it for my gerd but it seems to be giving me an extra benefit. Anyone else find this lil secret?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi deb - yes, it has been known about for a number of years but has always not been recommended because it also inhibits calcium , magnesium and Vit B12 as well as iron.

However, low dose for a short term is recommended when PPIs are required. My husband was prescribed a PPI for gerd type problems but was only allowed a couple of weeks. While he is homozygous H63D, he no longer loads iron after being 'de-ironed' by vx, so there was not obvious reduction like yours.

I note that there is a number of recent research studies concerning PPIs and iron overload but too tired to read them tonight. I think they are trying to prove that PPIs are not such a problem but are good at reducing iron.

Let us know how you go with your ferritin and other levels when you go off Prilosec. Perhaps ask your dr for blood tests for calcium, magnesium and Vit B12 levels just to see what has happened in that regard, and also to see if you now need a boost of those minerals and vitamin.

• Posted

my other numbers have been ok...I make sure to get calcium in my diet as that too absorbs iron as well as eggs. My hepatologist has said i will prolly stay on prilosec since my gerd is severe and it benefits me with the iron. I can take supplements for the others too if i need.

• Posted

Calcium reduces the uptake of iron. Is your haemoglobin staying within normal range?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.