Prilosec Causing Reflux???

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All! Soooo I went to see a gastro doc because I’ve been nauseous every morning for about 8 weeks and he prescribed Prilosec, 20 mg, once a day right before dinner. But now that I’ve been taking it for about a week, I’ve started having heartburn! I thought Prilosec was supposed to get rid of heart burn?! Has this ever happened to anyone else?!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It is possible that you actually have a LOW stomach acid condition that Prilosec is exasterbating.  When one has low stomach acid, the acids are not able to absorb the food you eat and essentially your food “ferments” inside your stomach, causing indigestion, gas, and stomach pain.  Too many doctors think of acid reflux as a “too much of” condition, when in actuality studies show a large portion of suffers have too little. This is especially true with autoimmune conditions. 
    • Posted

That had never occurred to me! And yes....a definite possibility. I went into his office with prolonged nausea that occurrred after weeks of a nasty stomach bug.....and walked out with Prilosec and reflux. Any suggestions on what to do about low stomach acid?
  • Posted

They can test you for low stomach acid, I would just be sure to pressure them to do so.  If you do, then taking digestive enzymes, and taking stomach acid pills such as Betatine HCL will aid with digestion. 
  • Posted

Prilosec will also cause diarrhea. I have what is called GERD better known as gastroesopheal reflux disease. Over the years the heartburn part got super bad. After they took a camera down my throat a few months ago, they found a hiatul hernia, some nodules in my throat, and a lot of erosion. Mine gets worse if I bend over at the waist.

There’s loads of problems caused by Prilosec, to include kidney. Or liver damage. So much so there are Laquita if you google it.

I take Zantac 175 twice a day and it always works. When they tried switching me to Prilosec I thought I’d die from heartburn because Prilosec just did not work. 

You can get zantac over the counter as well.

You could try not taking the Prilosec s while and see if the heartburn goes away. If it doesn’t then try the zantac. 

I  wouldn’t take something that induces heartburn. It seems odd that they said it was reflux when your problem, and if they think is reflux they should do further testing. Because the reflux seriously eroded your esophagus. 

For fast relief when I forget to take my zantac I use gaviscon chewable. Or when I’ve been in hospital and they didn’t have zantac but would give me Prilosec and it didn’t work, they had to give me something called triple mix which is maalox, lidocaine, and something else. It numbs the throat and stops the heartburn for a few hours. 

I hope you get some relief. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.