Primary biliary cirrhosis itching and rash

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, can anyone tell me if they get redness or a rash or bruising with their PCB itch?? Can you explain what it looks like?

I have had a really bad itch for the past 5 months, mostly on my legs, but also on my arms and sometimes my sides and abdomen. It gets worse in the shower and at night, but it's bad during the day too. I'm getting blood tests this week...

Thank you, I appreciate you sharing your experience with me.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello and good day. I experience all of what you mentiuoned. I was recently diagnosed (Mar 30) but it took forever to get to this diagnosis. aprox 1.6 year.  I sit here and type this to you and scratch at the same time. I sure don't wish this on anyone as it is horrible. I scratch so much that I have wore the color off me and caused tiny scabs here and there. I look like a complete mess from this disease. I lost 20 lbs without trying and can't put it back on. I have been prescribed URSO which I seem to be tolerating quite well. It's only been 12 days or since being on it so time will tell. Have you been diagnosed? I started one day with itch that progessed all over. It bothers me too at night..from the showers and when I eat certain food.

Be well and take care. smile

• Posted

try really hard not to scratch as if you tear the skin with your nails. you will let infection in, and could get a nasy infection called cellulitis.. and need penicillin to clear it up, if possbible get a scratchy sock and rub the itchy legs arms where ever with the sock. cellulitis is one of the things i'v had as i have chronic liver disease, celllulits is very painful its infected bright red and swells up. because the skin has been torn. so please be carefull. good luck to us and all the very best. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. My liver ALT and AST came back normal. I'm still itchy...sometimes redness, occasionally some bumps. My feet and palms have been itching too. I'm going to see an allergist Monday though I highly doubt I have allergies. I'm a dietitian and have been watching closely for any food reactions and reactions to dyes, lotions, soaps...nothing seems to be really triggering it. Errr.

I hope you're doing well and I'm sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Can I ask, Why did it take so long to get diagnosed? I'm glad you were able to know a diagnosis though so now you know how to help treat it. Keep us updated...thank you.

• Posted

i had the diagnosis years ago. had hepb and hep c for many years although cleared the hep c with treatment.  our livers get affected by soaps and creams as most of the things we put on our bodies and medicines and foods are metabolised by the liver. so find something very gentle and stick with whatever gives you the least problems i would go for organic soap as there is less rubbish in it.did you know that there are substances in soap toothpaste shampoo that are there just to make them frothy or foamy. i found that out with toothpaste. it has sls. which stand for sodium laurel sulphate. nothing to do with cleaning the teeth. just to make if foamy. so the less of those things we use the less stress on our livers.
    • Posted

i just ment to say that i mentioned the sore tongue to my dentist and she told me about the sodium laurel sulphate. you will find it in lots of other products. and other sodim stuff as well that is absolutely not needed. i hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.