Primary care physician ignores symptoms of Patulous Eustachian Tube

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been in and out of my primary care physician's office and now I'm thinking of changing him, but my insurance says no, they will only deal with the current one, and he's got to the point now that I've been told that he will not see me for the same complaint any more, because he says there's nothing wrong.

The problem is, I've been living with wind sounds, hearing my own voice amplified, and a feeling like I have a clump of wax stuck in my ear, for just over 30 years, and to top it all off, I had a hearing test 10 years a go, and I've lost about 70% of my hearing and to this day it's getting worse, if anyone is standing to my right I can't hear them, only a squeaking sound as if the sound is distorted and words sound like Chinese, but my left ear has compensated and I'm able to hear as long as there isn't any other sounds interfering with what I hear.

I went to see my primary physician (which by the way 30 years ago, I was living elsewhere and had a different doctor), and he examined my ear and said he couldn't find anything wrong, so I found out how much it would cost for a one-off ENT visit and examination and he said I had PET, and that it was worse than he thought initially (after I gave him a history lesson), and told me I needed surgery, but he couldn't do anything unless he got a referral from my doctor, so I asked him for his report and I took it to my doctor, I can't remember the exact words, but he more or less told me I'm a hypochondriac, and that because I went to an actual specialist (ENT), he didn't like it and later told me if I came to the surgery for and complaints of the same nature he will refuse to see me, period, and that he is not going to make a referral, because there is nothing wrong with my ears.

I had to give up singing, because my left ear sounds normal, but my right ear is never normal and is always sounding like a wind tunnel, and hearing my own voice greatly amplified, etc etc, it never stops unless I hold my nose and suck inward, which then I hear a pop, and everything is back to normal, (just about), then I go to talk and it's back again. It will always be there constantly.

So if my Dr won't do anything and the ENT says he can't do anything without a referral, and my insurance company won't deal with any other Dr, what is there to do?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

  • Edited

    Hi Usalabs

    I get Patulous Eustachian tube on and off and i have got a good tip for you. When you feel your ear go P bend over to touch your toes, you should have a slight pressure in your ears.Stay like this for a couple of secounds and you should feel your ear go back to normal. I wouldn't suck in your ears as this will only make things worse and as you said you get sort relief from it. Bending over might sound awkward but if you keep doing it when you feel the need , you will find that the sensation will get less and you wont need to bend over as often, if you know what i

    I hope this works for you

    Feel better soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.