Primary stabbing / ice pick headache - medication?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I get migraine, but, as I've got older I only get the aura and, thankfully, no longer get the debilitating headache.  However, I do occasionally get what I believe are called primary stabbing or ice pick headaches.  Flashes of severe pain on one side of my head, over the temple, that last for up to 30 seconds.  They can make my head feel numb and my eye water.  They used to be very infrequent, but lately I've been getting them a lot, up to about 20 a day.  From what I've read they're harmless and, apparently, they're more frequent in people who get migraine.  I've been taking paracetamol, but wonder if anybody else has suffered from these and had any sort of medication that has helped.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Rosidmags. If Paracetamol helps I would stick with that. When I get those symptoms I tend to take Co-codamol but not sure if that helps or the symptoms would have subsided on their own! I now take Amitriptyline 20 MGM's on a night and this has helped.
  • Posted

Hi Rosiemags,

These new symptoms you describle are typical of cluster headache, I know because I get these too, or I would do if I didnt take preventative meds.  Which are pregabalin and verapimil.  To deal with the onset of the cluster I use sumatriptan epipen style injection, which is the gold standard of treatment.

Cluster headache is a neurological comdition like classic mugraine and can be the most severest type of pain!

Good luck with your quest to deal with this condition

• Posted

Hello

I know this is an old post but just wondering if you are still suffering with your Icepick headaches and what medication you took to control them?  I have just been diagnosed with the same thing.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.