Prinzmetal angina

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have Prinzmetal angina.  My first attack was when I was 44 but not diagnosed until I was 51.  I just recently found out i have eNOS T786C mutation which most likely is causing the vasospams.  I'm curious if anyone else has been diagnosed with this mutation.  A doctor that is doing research on Prinzmetal patients recommends taking L-arginine.  Anyone else take this supplement?  If so has it helped?  I have never had an EKG during an attack and was wondring if ST segment elevation is ALWAYS present on an EKG during spasm?

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Interesting turn of events with me. They had started me on COQ10 an the one I was taking active ingredient was Piperine.  Piperine  has been affecting the absorption of both Verapmil and  Nifedipine.  .With Piperine affects the  Metabolizing enzymes inhibited or induced by piperine, and a few of the substances whosebioavailability is affected by these enzymes. Metabolizing Enzymes: CYP1A1, CYP1B1, CYP1B2, CYP2E1, CYP3A4.  So they are taking me off COQ10 with Piperine. They beleive the reduced affectiveness of Verapmil and  Nifedipine has set me into a bad spell of Angina.
  • Posted

Sorry i'm not familiar with eNOS T786C mutation ?but my partner has Prinzmental angina, he had a massive heart attack at age 30 (3 years ago) which resulted in VF arrest for 1 hour and he luckily made a full recovery. at age 32 he had a very small heart atack an afterwards was addmitted to hospital at least once every 2-3 weeks for a few months before doctors finally diagnosed him with Prinzmental Angina. they explained to us that the reason they struggled to diagnose him is because every time he went to hospital after having chest pains by the time an ECG was done he was no longer experiencing any discomfort and ECG and scans came back normal every time. the reason is because it can only be detected on an ECG if the symptoms are happening at the same time as ECG is done which very rarely happens, once the chest pains (caused by arteries spasm's) go away the arterie's are no longer spasming therefore they look completly normal and healthy making it impossible for doctors to diagnose the patient, thus leaving them with only one option which is to attempt to eliminate all other possible causes.

• Posted

Hi jaydeez,

It appears that some cardiologists have varying opinions when it comes to PM angina. Mine have been picked up on ECG's but not often, for some reason not known to anyone prinzmetal angina spasms do not show up on an ECG although research suggests this but "apparently" is not the case. You will only catch coronary artery spasms via an angiogram and if they are lucky they will be able to pick the spasms up straight away, if not they do what's called a provocative test where they use a couple of provocative agents, if you have prinzmetal angina these agents will trigger the spasms off. spasms occur quickly and with out warning and this is only my opinion, because the spasms are going at 1000 miles an hour and if  your heart is functioning well there would be minimal blood flow restriction, but on the other hand if the spasms were long and slow I would expext a fair bit of blood flow restriction to the heart. Does that seem to make sense to you ? another thing that research seems to have shown is that nitrates will relieve the spasms, maybe to begin with but as time goes on and our bodies build up a tolerence to all the medication they can at most times of a bad attack be useless. one cardiologist had explained to me that weird lipid profiles ( high cholesterol , etc etc winkcan actually induce prinzmetal angina as well.

• Posted

Sorry that should of been for some reason not known to anyone, prinzmetal angina spasms do not always show up on an ECG .
  • Posted

sorry I forgot to mention, my partner was also diagnosed with Thalassaemia Minor, which is also a genetic disorder, although I am unsure if this is similar to eNOS T786C mutation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.