Private Prescription Only

Posted , 7 users are following.

Many thanks for your responses to my previous question. Been to the docs today and he will only prescribe me Orlistat as a private prescription! went into boots today and it will cost me £42.71 per month! he said the NHS no longer prescribes Orlistat.... your comments please....?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

not sure but there was something in the papers some time back that my MIL told me about but I have managed to get it on prescription since then. I'm due to go and get another prescription in a week so can only let you know how I get on.

Hopefully someone else will be getting a top up sooner

• Posted

I had a new presciption about 10 days ago, but my daughter lives in Leeds and has just been prescibed this by her doctor for the first time last Friday. I wonder if your doctor muddling it up with the drug that was withdrawn a while back, so Orlistat is the only weight loss drug available on presciption now. Is saw a different nurse last time, and she thought it had been stopped until she checked her notes.
  • Posted

That's a load of rubbish lots of people on this site get Orlistat on prescription including me although there does seem to differencies on the amount of time you can stay on them, seems to be taken on different surgeries or doctors beliefs?? My nurse said I can only stay on them for up to a year if I continue to lose weight, others seem to be allowed to stsy on them for months even if they don't lose and others have stated on here that they will be allowed to stay on them for longer.
  • Posted

maybe its down to a postcode lottery as it is with many other drugs? its wrong! ask your doctor to explain as others on this forum are not having the same problem.
  • Posted

I have requested a repeat prescription for Orlistat by post (my GP doesn't want to see me until the New Year). It should be coming any day soon so I will let you know how I get on.
  • Posted

maybe the docs doing this because you dont meet the criteria they've got for having them on normal perscription - i.e loosing the 14lbs prior to (as per your previous thread) maybe because you haven't lost it they don't think you're serious about it?
  • Posted

hi ! I have just had my 2nd prescription given to me on Tuesday, plus I had put ALL (6lbs) the weight I lost in the 1st month back on ,so what you have been told just doesn't make sense. Good luck !!!! :?
  • Posted

this shows are how sugeries differ my nurse wont/hasn't put my prescription on repeat with my other meds, initially she saw me fortnightly , then three weeks , now monthly looks like my surgery wont give without this supervision
  • Posted

I received my prescription for 2 months of Orlistat today so my GP is still prescribing it on the NHS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.