PRK after cataract surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had Sympony Toric lenses in December 2017. The right eye still is not what it should be. Right 20/80. Left is 20/25

I’m scheduled for PRK on the right one next week.  I would be interested in hearing others experience with PRK

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi angela60701 - wishing you the best outcome.  I haven’t had this done (also had Symfony lenses) but if my vision didn’t provide me with a good outcome I think I would choose this vs a lens exchange.   Did your surgeon know why the power calculation was off this much for that eye?  Did you have prior lasik surgery?

It stands to reason when you select a multifocal or EDOF lens like Symfony you want to see well without glasses after cataract surgery. The greater the refractive error, the less likely one would be satisfied - especially given the expense of a premium lens.

Some private clinics offer an enhancement package when a patient opts for a multifocal or EDOF - hoping your surgeon is offering the correction without additional expense.

Again good luck to you.

• Posted

I too had Symphony toric lenses put in, now 8 weeks post op in the right eye and 6 post op left.  What is the reason you had to get laser surgery after the lenses were put in?  Not exactly sure what exactly sure what PRK is but do you mean laser surgery?
    • Posted

For whatever reason the right eye is not what it should be. PRK is to further corrrct the vision in that eye. PRK is a laser surgery that they reshape the cornea without going into the eye like Lasik surgery. I have thinning retina so Lasik is not an option for me. 
    • Posted

When you say the power is off is that what the doc told you, or is that what you see when closing the other eye?  I say this because my doc powered my lenses differently on my Symphony lenses so that the right eye sees distance, and the left eye up close.  Working together they do a great job!  As we know we don't hold one eye closed to see.

• Posted

Is the issue the astigmatism and has IOL rotation been considered?  I haven't had to rotate many IOLs, but it happens that the toric IOL just isn't where you planned it, or it is where you planned it and it ends up needing to be at a different axis

?If the power is off then you can only exchange the IOL or do PRK or LASIK

Why PRK and not LASIK would then be my biggest question.

?I just found this web site and I find the questions and answers enlightening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.