Pro and cons of ORIF ankle surgery?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Do you regret getting ankle surgery? Would you ever consider a immobilization and a cast dependent on the level of injury instead looking back? Getting surgery next week and looking for help if possible from you all please... 

I have small fractures in my fibula they say can heal without surgery although the want to operate and Ortho wants to put a plate in to move the displacement shown in the Xray. Surgery is next Friday. Have gotten a second opinion from surgeon friend who also recommends.

Bike riding years ago I cracked my elbow where it swelled up terribly and my shoulder took over a year to heal however all did without surgery.

I have a friend who got ankle surgery and she says she's happy  she did it. I'm of course conflicted on surgery especially considering the recovery and complications. That said should I not get the surgery there's a risk of having an unstable ankle and I had non orthoscopic surgery many many years ago where they removed the medial meniscus on my left knee so I already put more weight on my right leg.

?I'm 5'8" and stocky 200 lbs although in good shape.  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I do not regret getting the surgery. I was told that there was a chance that the bones would heal by themselves but it could cause major issues with walking and strength in the future if they didn’t heal correctly. I hated the surgery, the pain, the non weight bearing.  However I knew it was the right thing and I am glad that’s what I did. There was mire damage than was able to be seen on he X-ray and I would not have been able to have film use of the ankle without the surgery   It was a long 6 weeks after surgery that I struggled a bit and became depressed and this group really helped. Almost 7 weeks post op now and I am in PT and starting to get my range of motion back and even begin putting a little weight on it ( while in a boot) it was worth it, but still dream that this never happened. Good luck with whatever you choose to do and hope you heal fast 
  • Posted

If there is a displacement, get the surgery. I broke my ankle playing hockey, left ankle ORIF plate and 7 screws. I had all the hardware removed 10 months later and think that was the best course of action for me. I was having fit issues with my skate due to the hardware and was also developing some neuropathy in my foot and toes.
  • Posted

Do the surgery. It will be worse latter. I didn’t wear a air cast 20 years ago with a sprain, now my foot has pronated inward and I need ankle fusing on left foot. My surgery will be in August. I hate to tho k of recovery time because of the holidays, but I have to. Take care of your feet and ankles. 
  • Posted

I broke my ankle 1 1/2 years ago. The flexibility is still not there which is probably from the plate and screws. My major complaint is that my entire foot is still numb. Sometime the nerve damage never corrects itself. I broke it pretty bad so I believe that it had to be done. Unfortunately, surgeons push surgery for every little thing they can find because that is their paycheck. Too bad you didn't know a surgeon in your family that you could ask that wasnt motivated by money.

• Posted

Have you looked into having the hardware removed? It helped a lot with the numbness in my foot.
    • Posted

I had to have thyroid surgery and still paying on the ankle surgery. Even with insurance the bills are high lol. Can;t afford another surgery right now but I was considering it once our bills are caught up. Thanks for letting me know that it could correct the numbness.
  • Posted

I would have to say get the surgery. Your leg could heal wrong without it and cause major complications. I work in a hospital and have seen it happen. I also had surgery on my ankle in February. And I do not regret it at all. It can take up to a year after surgery before your leg is healed to where there is no more swelling and nerve issues is what I was told and is what I am dealing with and I still have no regrets. It could also never hea without the surgery. And you could never be able to bear weight on your leg again if the bones don’t heal or you can risk further damage to the joint. 
  • Posted

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to write me. As of now its 4 out of 5 in favor. Its still tough as this morning reading forums on people saying they had to have the hardware removed. I do know he said he's going to be taking out a screw in three months. I do know a lot of people complain of continued swelling for a couple of years after the surgery that subsides. I've read about shooting nerve pain and more all which of course give me cause for concern.

?Surgery is scheduled for Friday and so far its full steam ahead yet still doing a LOT of research as my Dr is very matter of fact about the surgery being "Routine" and I do not take all that I'm reading lightly. Keep em coming and again sincerely value all the comments and feedback!

G

• Posted

i have a comminuted fracture to my tarsus and malleolis

in my case the surgery would have caused a permanent rom reduction. my ortho told me i could try to avoid it as the cartilage looks ok.

so options were surgery+8 weeks in short cast or no surgery+16 weeks in long cast and ankle mobility

i choose to go with the full leg plaster, today i had the cast changed, cast immobilization is boring but i would do the same choice again.

in the past i had a ligament surgery on this ankle and didn't work.

• Posted

hello

i wonder how you are doing now? i have been reading your post, i broke my ankle 8 days ago and have broken in 2 places, i suffer terribly with anxiety and fear the operation of pins and plates, last week the orthopedic surgeon said that the X ray showed all bones were alligned and secure in the cast, he said that i would been seen weekly to check they are still in place. i asked if he recommended surgery which his reply was that he would prefer to air on the side of caution and insert pins but happy with the bones at this time, i would prefer to try and heal without the operation due to the overwhelming anxiety of the operation but dont want to make the wrong decision, advice would be much appreciated ?

• Posted

hello

i wonder how you are doing now? i have been reading your post, i broke my ankle 8 days ago and have broken in 2 places, i suffer terribly with anxiety and fear the operation of pins and plates, last week the orthopedic surgeon said that the X ray showed all bones were alligned and secure in the cast, he said that i would been seen weekly to check they are still in place. i asked if he recommended surgery which his reply was that he would prefer to air on the side of caution and insert pins but happy with the bones at this time, i would prefer to try and heal without the operation due to the overwhelming anxiety of the operation but dont want to make the wrong decision, advice would be much appreciated ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.