Probable acid reflux after gal bladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I wanted to know if anyone is aware of a problem I am facing.

I had my gall bladder removed almost two years back. I never had any pains but I routine health check it was found that I had multiple stones so was advised to get it operated

It was fine post operation. However I had been facing a coughing problem before this operation . Post operation it stopped for sometime.

Now almost everyday I end up coughing. The pattern is not clear but generally at night these days. I feel bloated at times breathless , and for almost an hour I cough and only when I take out sputum it gets comfortable and coughing also subsidrs.

Has anyone faced any such problem . Doctor says probably it's acid reflux but he too isn't sure

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yep had exact same always coughing when I laid down. Went for a while after the open then came back. Was advised to eat little and often,low fat and not eating less than 3 hours before bed and taking gaviscon before bed. I haven't had it over a month now

• Posted

Thanks Sam . I'll try changing my lifestyle too and see if that helps

• Posted

Hi I get times where it is bile that comes up.I have it where I cannot take a deep breath on my right side due to ribcage pain.Hopefully someone will have an idea for you..best regards
  • Posted

If you have acid reflux, one thing to do is raise the top of your bed by a few inches on blocks, or have a wedge pillow so gravity helps and another is avoid eating for a few hours before retiring at night. 

Maybe the dr can send you for further investigations though, such as gastroscopy if you have not already had this to rule out things like gastritis, hiatus hernias etc as a cause of the reflux. Possibly then test in case it is a bile malabsorbtion problem or similar related to your gallbladder removal. Reflux can irritate the throat and lead to a cough, presumably other causes have been rules out.

I still have the gallbladder and have lots of problems with digestion, so it isn't always the actual removal that is to blame directly. As you noticed the cough before your op, maybe the condition was coming on then?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.