probably a stupid question to ask

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been meaning to ask this question, and it probably is a stupid one, and a no-brainer...but, with Achalasia, should one avoid eating popcorn?  Has anyone had cardio-spasms that last for hours?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wikipedia says (and I cannot tell you any more other than this):  Nitroglycerin, also known as glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) is used for the treatment of chest pain presumed to be due to the heart and heart failure. It is similar to the chemical nitroglycerin as used for explosives. However, the drug is often referred to as "nitro" colloquially. It is a type of nitrovasodilator.

Its use began with the experiments of William Murrell, which were reported in 1879. It is on the WHO Model List of Essential Medicines, a list of the most important medications needed in a basic health system.[1] The mechanism of nitric oxide (NO) generation from GTN and the metabolic consequences of this bioactivation are not entirely understood.

• Posted

Popcorn hasn't ever been a problem Donna. Chilli con carne was a biggee plus chicken occasionally. Gratefully both are ok now. Diagnosed 7 years ago now. Tom

• Posted

I saw the surgeon yesterday, and will be having the Hellermyotomy sometime in Nov. or before; then I hope, I can have popcorn again.
    • Posted

Will keep you in my prayers and hope that you can enjoy popcorn again though they'll give you a list of things that they recommend you not eat after the HM. Maybe popcorn won't be on your list! Best of luck to you!

• Posted

I can see the chili con carne because of it being spicy, but chicken is a new one. I know everyone is different though. I choke on lots of things from mashed potatoes at times to granola. Even after the HM, I still choke and am now aspirating sometimes. Spicy food burns like wildfire so I avoid it though I love it lol. Wish achalasia had a cure as I'm sure we all do!

• Posted

Wishing you well Donna and hope you get relief after the operation.

Love Tom

• Posted

thank you; the surgeon said that I will have a better quality of life, eating-wise, so I'm looking forward to that

• Posted

thank you...the surgeon said he wants to give me a better quality of life, eating-wise; so I am hopeful to return to sort-of normal eating.  If popcorn isn't on my 'okay to eat list,' well then, life does go on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.