Probably nothing.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi. I've been through an urgent bowel cancer scare and am 38 months after surgery. No worrying test results of any sort to date. But being super aware of any new niggle, I now have an annoying general ache in my lower gut in the middle. Almost like a muscular ache. My BM's have never been that great since surgery and Dr's are not bothered. Perhaps my diet is suspect, I eat anything really. It doesn't stop me being semi active or from sleeping. I think I'm a hypochondriac, maybe with good cause. I'm a 71 year old male. Surgery was an extended rt hemicolectomy, T3N0M0. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi John, Hopefully it is nothing to do with your original diagnosis.You sound very much like me as I worry constantly that my husbands cancer may return.He is 72

and was diagnosed in October 2016 with stage 2 T3NOMO.We are waiting for the 

results of a further test to see if he is a high or low risk of recurrence.If low then no chemo will be needed.Fingers crossed !

• Posted

Thanks Jenny. Yes, it's always at the back of my mind, sometimes the front. Worse first thing in the morning after a pleasant dream, then it all comes back. I didn't need chemo and was the same stage. I was coming up to 69. But I've had no reasons to worry, but it's not easy! 

All the best to you both. 

• Posted

Yes I agree John, it is not easy.I think I will always be worried until we pass the 5 year mark.You are well on your way towards that.

Our appointment is on Febuary 15th so will let you know how it goes.

Best wishes to you both,

Jenny.

• Posted

Hope your appt went well. Looking forward to your report. My 9 monthly one is tomorrow ! 16 1/2 hours away. Already nervous. Will go with a list  of questions. 
    • Posted

Hello John, My husband has decided not to have chemo.Following the test results they told us chemo would benefit him by an extra 5%.He is a fit and active 72 year old .still working 4/5 hours a day and has no intention of retiring any time soon!!.I hope he has made the right decision as I will always worry about a recurrence.Hope your appointment went well and look forward to hearing good news from you.

Jenny

• Posted

Hi Jenny. I think being fit and active is important. It's a long wait but the wry gets less over time. Not today for me though, appt in exactly 3 hours! Up before the birds at 5.30. Hard to sleep. I even saw the space station fly over. Fascinating.... Will let you know how I get on. 

• Posted

Worry, not wry. Must proof read before posting.
    • Posted

And it all went very well. The consultant said that I hadn't complained about aches and pains before, but eneed up saying that they were probably just wind and/or my gut objecting to something unsuitable. She said if it was something serious it would be there all the time. My colonoscopy 18 months ago was fine and I think things take a fair time to grow. I'll probably still worry though. She doesn't want to see me for a year, so I suppose she's happy. 

Best wishes to you both for the future. Has your husband had surgery yet? 

• Posted

Hello John, You must be relieved but as you say there is always a niggling worry in the back of your mind.My husbannd does not worry at all but I think I worry for the both of us.

Yes his operation was back in December stage 2 T3 with all 17 lymph nodes free from cancer.He is due a scan in May so I must try and get on with life until then.

Sending you my very best wishes...............Jenny.

• Posted

Looking good for your husband. Sounds very similar to my diagnosis, T3N0M0 and lymph nodes ok. They took 22 I think, maybe because it was an extended right hemicolectomy. Emergency, they didn't know until the CT scan then 3 hours later I was in theatre. Even signing consent forms while lying on my back waiting. Poor surgeon had to be called in on his day off. There was a complete blockage and some bowel perforation away from the tumour fortunately. 4 to 5 litres of fluid had built up and the bowel had swollen to 20 cm from the usual 5 he said. 'Worst I've ever seen' and 'one more night we could have lost you,' he informed me. I wasn't given the choice of chemo.

i told you all those scary details, because every test, scan, colonoscopy and consultation have been fine and my outlook is good. It might help to reassure you about your husband's prospects. 

Keep me up to date if you have time. Best wishes,

John. 

• Posted

My husbands tumour was found after a routine faecal screening so his operation done by keyhole surgery was an anterior resection and went to plan.He will now have a blood test and scan in May and then every 6 months after that with a colonoscopy every year.

I am happy to keep you up to date as it helps to talk about my worries to someone else.I am also on the beatingbowelcancer forum.

All the best for now,

Jenny. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.