Probiotics and digestive enzymes after gallbladder removal

Posted , 12 users are following.

I seem to be having digestive issues after having my gallbladder removed two months ago. I feel full after eating small amounts, fell nauseous and sick after eating, I can only eat very little and I've lost a lot of weight. I feel awful. My stomach just feels full or air or something and tight. There's a area to the right of my belly button that hurts when pressed. No lump or anything but it feels weird after I eat and stuff like everything piles up there? And when pressed on its weird subtle pain. I just want to feel normal again and actually have an appetite. Will I constantly feel like this forever? If you guys have any recommendation of probiotics or digestive enzymes I should try please let me know. I'm desperate. I heard those would help but I'm too nervous and scared to try anything thinking they'll make me feel worse or won't work.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Look for chewable Papaya Enzyme tablets at a health food store; they help with digestion smile I would ask the doctor about your symptoms, though...you shouldn't hurt at this point following surgery unless there's a lot of gas build-up or an infection IMO. Hopefully someone with more experience than I will chime in with some suggestions~ Hugs

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! Yeah my stomach just feels weird in general. Can't each much or it feels like I ate five meals at once. I can't eat a full meal yet. It's really sucks. Can one take probiotics and enzymes together? Do you take any by the way? I heard papaya alone and pineapple help give digestion and also yogurt?

• Posted

That's a good question (probiotics and papaya mixing). I guess I would ask the pharmacist for guidance on that. I sure hope you get relief soon~

• Posted

You just need to give it more time. I was the same but it slowly goes. Just eat small frequent amounts low fat. Probiotcs are great and any fermented foods. I also found drinking less helped and never have a big glass of drink just sips between meals
    • Posted

How long exactly? I'm tired of feeling so sick, I really don't think this is normal. Did this happen to you? And did you feel nausea and like your stomach was weird? For once I would like to eat and feel fine, not sick. And I eat very little and feel full easily. I feel as I cannot eat a full meal yet; I eat the amount of a kid size meal.

• Posted

Was it always like that after sugury.?   Had mine out a week ago and i'm eting everything that doesnt eat me first..  Gotta head to potty like wuthin 20 minutes but no other issues..

• Posted

I was fine for about a week or two after and then this happens sad not sure why and this is why I'm asking if maybe I should consider taking probiotics and enzymes or either one and if it's helped anyone with no gallbladder.

• Posted

Hi

Please don't worried yourself. I had my removed a year ago and after severals months I felt almost like you described. I lost a lot of weight myself  but healthy and I like how I look.

I was never a big person to begain with so I was worried at first. I went to see a Dr ran couples of test. Except my protaien content in blood was a bit high. Other than that I feel good.

Is heathy to eat in small portion size. Do you go to the restroom every day ? I do once a day .

• Posted

Hi! So you felt like I did too? How did it leave eventually? I eat small portions and still feel sick, but just yesterday I started digestive enzymes and i actually feel ok. Maybe they're working? Also I don't go every day, what do you take for that? I usually go once a week now, I think it's due to the fact I don't eat much sad

• Posted

Hi I had my gallbladder..well part of it...taken out in feb 2016..I was nauseated and had no appetite this whole time.I kept telling my surgeon that the pain was the same,the nausea,jaundice,fever,chills,no appetite and he said it will get better in timeI ended up having bile stents put in 5x..because my bile ducts were strictured..narrowed..that was making me sick..Well.I am happy to report that I Did not take his word and kept persuing it.My gastro dr had me do an mri..him and i looked at every mri and ctscan.I had 1/3 of my gallbladder still inside..it was infected really badly.So my gastrosent me to a liver transplant/heptobiliary surgeon at the UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO.He removed the infected rest of my gallbladder and reconstructed my bile ducts..its called a hepaticojejunostomy..I am 8 weeks out of surgery..no chills,no fever,no jaundice,no dark urine,no gray colored stools..I do have alittle bit of nausea,which started lst night, some swelling and alittle bit of pain where the surgery was done.I see the gastro tomorrow and he will check my bloodwork to check liver enzymes and probably will have me do another ctscan to make sure that my new,man made bile ducts are not strictured.You need to advocate for yourself,if you gut instinct(pun intended) says there is something wrong, then have it checked out.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.