Probiotics and IBS

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hello all,

I suffer from post infectious IBS ( from a bout of food poisoning back in November 2015) and I have been reading on on people having amazing results from taking probiotic tablets. I just wanted to know if anyone on here has tried them and if so which one? I want to give them a go as for this condition is taking over my life and i feel like a prison in my own home. I dont suffer from D or C, just nast stomach pains after I go for a BM, and the feeling of incomplete evacuation which makes me feel like i need to go all the time. Although the only question I have is i dont know which probiotic I should start taking and how much (10 billion, 20 billion etc)

Any help I would be eternally grateful!

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I personally found the liquid wheat based one better. A lot more expensive but I found it worth every penny.
    • Posted

Yes that's the one I'm taking. I think it's barley based its great but as you say expensive
    • Posted

Ive started with buying capsules of acidophilus from Holland and barret 3 billion. if I see no results then I'll try the more expensive liquid option (:
  • Posted

Hi Jo,

When it gets bad, I take a pro-biotic yogurt in the morning and supplement with my lunch. They make a big diffrence to me but I do have IBS-C. As the Doc said give it a try. You hve away from all the triggers though, Sress, Alcohol, coffee etc etc.

Take it easy Jo, thinking too much also makes it worse, this I know for sure.

• Posted

Thanks John! Unfortunetly being a uni student has led me to being stressed quite alot, but im sitting my last exam tuesday so hopefully after that I will notice a slight difference! 
  • Posted

Hi!

I know this is not exactly an answer to your question but I just wanted to share with you that there is recent research which shows many cases of post infectious IBS can successfully be treated with a certain antibiotic. if you'd like more info I'd be happy to share. smile

• Posted

Can you give me more information please and will doctors give you the antibiotic?
    • Posted

I'm also interested to hear more about this :-)
    • Posted

Hello! It is a prescription so you would have to talk with your doctor to get it. It is called Xifaxin or rifaximin. It can be used to treat small intestinal bacterial overgrowth which is thought to cause many of the symptoms associated with IBS. I was prescribed this and it was a miracle drug for me. smile
    • Posted

Thanks now I will try to remember it. it is antibiotic so if we take it we need to have probiotic with it as well for it may kill the good bacteria in your intestina
    • Posted

My doctor had me take a probiotic after I finished the antibiotic. He said not to take it during because the antibiotic will just kill all the bacteria anyways. Best of luck to you! I hope you get some relief. 😊
  • Posted

They definitely make a difference a lot of my patients take the 50 billion tablets with the different cultures in it there being more recognised now in the medical field also I take 1 a day and my ibs is more settled
  • Posted

Hi Jo38983,

As you probably know, as you've said about billions, most of the yoghurts and such like that get promoted are overpriced and contain next to nothing in terms of probiotics if you're in need of them. This is all just my opinion, as research is still quite divided on probiotics, just to make that clear. I've taken them before but not currently, though I will start them up again soon just in case they're helpful, as advised by my surgeon. When they found a load of air in my colon, I was given a high dose antibiotic first for suspected bacterial overgrowth, so you'd perhaps want to check for that. As for the probiotics, there are pre and probiotics, and I've found the higher dose ones on both Amazon and eBay. The ones I have at the moment are 10 billion CFUS for 150 tablets, one per day. You don't want to spend over £15 on such things but I paid around £13 and those tablets would last for 5 months, which is far better than you'd get in a certain high street 'health' store chain. I noticed some improvement in terms of less 'gripey-ness', but that was about all, however I had other issues with my colon and such so the benefit may have been a little lost on me. Everyone will be different, which is why I'd say it's best not to spend a fortune and find a bargain where you get a few months' worth and a high (10 billion is decent) count. 

Caz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.