Probiotics and magnesium

Posted , 7 users are following.

What sort of probiotics does e erroneous take and anyone had any success with magnesium or any else to ease pain? This disease really makes you feel low 😢

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry that should say everyone!
    • Posted

I don't know about probiotic and I don't have diverticular problems any more because I've had surgery. But I  do know this. Magnesium caused me agonising stomach pains and still does, even after the surgeries. 

• Posted

Despite other info, I would be very careful about the magnesium.  
  • Posted

Consultant prescribed me VSL#3 and buscapan they work for me . Also had to change my diet which is working for me

• Posted

Hi it's pro biotics.. it's sachets of live cultures . Diet sheet tells me to avoid nuts ..seeds .. any veg with seeds e.g. cucumber , tomatoes google what foods to avoid good luck x

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I take 20 billion probiotics every day.  The pharmacist said choose a name brand that has good reviews.  It costs me about $30  every month but I think it has been worth it.

I also take a slow release magnesium.  It releases over the day.  I take it morning and night. The slow release is suppose to make it easier on the stomach. I have not had any problems at all and it keeps me regular every morning without using a laxative.  The dietitican recommended that I take magnesium daily.  The one she suggested really bothered my stomach so I asked the pharmacist and he suggested the slow release kind of magnesium and it has worked great for me.  My brother in  law is a pharmacist in another town. He is always telling me to ask the pharmacist where I shop because they are a wealth of information. I have found that to be very true.  

I hope this helps you.  I feel so strongly about taking the probiotic and the slow magnesium every day that I have gone out to get it at night rather than skip a dose if I am out.  

Also my D,r the last time I was in and feeling so badly and low, said I was not getting enough nutrition.  I decided to try some baby food fruit and vegetables.  The ingredients list nothing but the vegetable puree and water.  I am trying to get more vegetables in and fruit and still having the grilled chicken or turkey breast and green beans etc but the baby food has given me more variety of foods.  

I hope you will soon be better!

Georgie

• Posted

Hello Linda and everyone

Has anyone else experienced this?

Diagnosed 2 to 3 years ago.

About a month ago, I had bouts of diarrhoea most days for a week or so. I then decided to start probiotics which I so many on this site have found useful. For a few days after starting them (Acidophilus Maximum 20 billion from H & B healthfood store) my the diarrhoea lessened, but a week later diarrhoea started again in much greater quantities. I have lost 5lbs in last week. No pain. I have been on a fluid intake diet, also taking jelly, yoghurt, soft poached egg. Yesterday I tried the inside flesh of a jacket potato, and an hour later had the worst bout of diarrhoea ever.

This is a horrid condition. I'm sure I'm not alone in trying to follow sensible advice, but also worrying greatly about it.

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.