Probiotics are helping I think! - Do you use them?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Back in September I had severe stomach cramps and also lower back pain.  I have had a colonoscopy which revealed nothing, an MRI which has shown some rheumatoid arthritis in lower spine and also I have had raised caprotection and c-reactive in samples. Clearly there is somesort of inflammation happening somewhere. My gut continues to bubble constantly and my back still aches, but I recently started taking some strong probitoitics (20 billion) which I got from a health food shop.

I was advised to try the probiotics by a fellow forum member and he suggested going for the strong versions. I have now completed 30 days of these capsules and I am feeling like things are certainly improving. The symptoms are much much milder than they were, which is really exciting! I am due to continue investigations with my GP and have an ultrasound scan and referral to a rheumatologist planned, but I feel like some progress is being made with these probiotics.

has anyone else had similar results with using probiotics? How did you use them and what were your symptoms? If you haven't tried them, perhaps they may help you too?

good luck with your health and thanks for reading!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I tried one 15 strains probiotics before due to my once a week diarrhea. End up with a discomfort stomach pain in the middle of my belly for months till now. I am not sure gg for colonoscopy as I done in 2011 Aug was found clean and 2013 with ultra scan was also normal. I am suspecting the ingredients in the probiotics making me sick in the tummy. 
    • Posted

It seems from reading around that different strains are better suited than others. I wonder if it is worth experimenting? I am certainly no expert and am groping my way through all this, but I do feel 70% better than I did. Hence I want to learn about others experiences in case it is just a coincidence that I am feeling some improvement. Good luck Daniel 

ps see my reply to Gem below to see what I am using

• Posted

Hi marco, do you mind if I ask which ones you are using and where you got them from? I'm currently shopping around to find some to try.

Gem

• Posted

Hi Gem, I got them from Holland and Barrett. Please let me know how you get on. Btw what are your symptoms? Good luck
    • Posted

Hi marco, my symptoms are:

Loose stools, unable to put on weight and when I do I able to loose it rapidly.

Pain on my left side under my ribs that radiates around to my rib cage at my back.

Pain on my right side under my ribs (mainly after eating). Pain radiates up into my shoulder.

Pain to an inch right of my belly button which is like a stabbing? It then moves to an inch left. Then I have a stabbing below my belly button.

I have a morning urge to the toilet every morning. If I don't go then it will probably be a couple of days and then the pattern will start again.

My stools are easy to pass, no pain but smell a bit like chemicals.

My symptoms don't all fit IBS but the consultant was quite adamant!

Gem

• Posted

Hi yes i take them all the time, my once very sore stomach is so much better but im taking dida tablets too with all natural ingredients as well  to help with my forever bloated stomach which has  gone down considerably.

Sue

• Posted

hi Sue, what type do you take. I am really keen to learn more about these as it seems the jury is out on their effectiveness and I am really hoping these are a realistic alternative to the other possible treatments. How useful at the Dida tablets? I have not heard if them before. Good luck with future health 
    • Posted

Marco as i thought the link to the dida tablets has caused my reply to you to be withheld.  if you pm me privately ill give it to you, im not sure how one does this though? Im taking Holland & Barretts acidopholis with pectin 3 billion strength.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Marco i take the acidophilus from Holland & Barretts. with pectin, 3 billion active cultures. the dida tablets are for bloating and tummy problems, hears the link if it isnt deleted by the administrator of course.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.