probiotics causing bloating

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

Does anyone feel bloated with probiotics? I believe my reflux is due to bacterial overgrowth. Have tried taking probiotics but every time I take them, I feel bloated and sometimes the reflux gets worse. But mostly it's the bloating. Strangely I can tolerate homemade yoghurt though and I eat that everyday.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Have you got the recipe please for your homemade yoghurt would be much appreciated
    • Posted

Hi Maureen, it's quite simple. Just heat your milk upto boiling point. Don't let it boil. Take it out from the stove and let it cool, till its at a lukewarm temperature. Add a spoon of yoghurt culture to this and leave it for 8-10 hours. Thats it your yoghurt is ready.
    • Posted

I guess you can buy starter cultures online. You can google it. I took some yoghurt from my relative to start off my homemade yoghurt at home. We Indians all make yoghurt at home, it's a staple food for us. I don't usually measure. I make 4-5 cups and add about a spoon of culture in it. This lasts for about 3 days for us. Once the yoghurt is ready, pls do refrigerate it. 
    • Posted

Maureen you can get Yogurt kits from Lakeland Limited.. Also, if you look online at health food websites..
  • Posted

Hi sirivinay, if you have bacterial overgrowth then you have to kill the overgrowth and then take probiotics to repopulate the gut. Hope that helps
    • Posted

You're welcome. If you can try to ask for rifaximin as they stay within the intestines whereas the others (e.g. Metronidazole) are systemic. They usually say no but it's worth a try.

Good luck!

• Posted

You're welcome. If you can try to ask for rifaximin as they stay within the intestines whereas the others (e.g. Metronidazole) are systemic. They usually say no but it's worth a try.

Good luck!

• Posted

I find Yoghurt unhealthy. Too much lactose and the calcium in it causes constipation - my advice is to avoid "bacteria" aided digestion and the foods that require them. 

as you say nothing but bloating and bubbling tummy!

• Posted

Thanks Steve. 

I am am not sure if it's unhealthy, we Indians eat it everyday. I've had it everyday since I was a baby and it's part of my staple diet, like rice I guess! Lol! But as you say, maybe I should stop for a while because of the lactose content. I'm probably not digesting that. 

• Posted

Sirivinay, If you do eliminate it for a while and realise that you feel better, if you really miss it you may be able to add it back in if you make a lactose free yogurt - you just have to ferment it for 24 hours (as per scd (specific carbohydrate diet)
  • Posted

In response to this one too, probiotics were also doing the same to me and I'm still testing it but It seems that you have to go very slowly when introducing probiotics as with anything new. Also, you need to make sure that the probiotics do not contain anything that could feed the bacteria in your small bowel such as FOS which many probiotics contain. I am currently following the scd/gaps diet and introducing everything very slowly and so far things seem to be ok. The first few days I had bloating but I stopped increasing the dose and it seems my body is now getting used to it. It's all trial and error of course
  • Posted

I've cured my reflux for a few years now after takingtaking milk Thistle Complex for a couple of months. They are a good Liver cleanser. The reason they may work is - Though small in size, the gallbladder plays an important role in our digestion of food. The gallbladder holds bile produced in the liver until it is needed for digesting fatty foods in the duodenum of the small intestine. - so, maybe the bile function is improved and other areas too.?

• Posted

Hi gillian,

guess we have interacted in other discussions on the forums as well smile

Good to know milk thistle worked for you. What you mentioned about gallbladder is a very possible theory.

Unfortunately I havr tried that and it didn't work for me. Guess with reflux, every body is different and the same treatment doesn't work for everyone. I took it for a month or so. I didn't want to take it long term as it interferes with estrogen.

RIght now my reflux is mostly under control and I am slowly trying to wean off of PPI (Which was the only thing that helped me). But I strongly feel the main reason for my reflux is bacterial overgrowth. So hoping probiotics will help..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.