Probiotics - I have too much good bacteria? Or bad?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, i've been having stomach issues or the past 6 weeks, nearly 24/7 extreme bloating,nausea and tiredness. At first thought it was a bug,, went to docs for blood and ultrasound etc. Then thought it was food intolerences, and cut all big things out...still no luck.

Then i realised i's started taking probiotics just bnefore all this problems happened, so the past 2 days i stopped and my stomach is finally settling down! Was able to eat most things again without the horrible churning/bloating....but last night i had a yoghurt(with live cultures, was dairy/gluten/soya free) and 'boom' my stomach did jumping circles again! I'm thinking  'maybe' ive a too much good bacteria in my system, as for the past year ive had psyllium husk everyday in large amounts and thats a strong prebiotic i've read?

So i've narrowed it down to my stomach really doesnt want anymore probiotics in it,  should i avoid all probiotic things like acv etc and prebiotics? Should i maybe go back to the doc and ask for antibiotics to reset my system? Any help is appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Probiotics can sometimes make you bloated and worsen gas ., when the bad bacteria die off it releases toxic substance which might make you nauseous and bloated gassy ., whatever happened to you the exact same thing happened to me too and probiotics made it worst but after I stopped taking it my stomach finally settled a bit but I still got irregular bowel movements and sometimes I find mucus in stool,. Got all the blood test CBC ,liver functioning test all came out normal , ultrasound too came out normal only the thing they can note was a gaseous abdomen my GP said its stomach infection and not gastritis ., i lost about 8 KGS in 3 months
    • Posted

I suffered with indigestion, nausea after having meal, tired all the time, bad mood, easily irritated bloated, gassy ,., I was a very lively and happy kind of guy but since last 3months I am not being myself .,.., but the first symptom that have hit me wasn't gas .,, all started with a feeling of nausea while having meal and feel like throwing up basically happened when I had fatty meat like pork but I never experienced any pain anywhere in my body slowly I started eating less cause anything I eat I get a bloated stomach ., eventually I losed my appetite and weight

• Posted

Ah im sorry to hear you had a similar problem as me, its really exhusting isnt it! Just wondering, how long did it take for your stomach to settle?
    • Posted

My GP gave me a probiotic named enterogermina ., and refiximin tab and rabeprazole sodium IP ., it took almost one month ., 4 weeks but am still not perfectly  fine I still get gassy and nauseous after meal for quite sometime
  • Posted

If coming off probiotics settled your stomach. I would leave it at that.  Diet change can upset your stomach, It looks as if you have found foods that set your symptoms off.  Simply avoid those foods.  Probiotics are not for everyone. Antibiotics strip out good bacteria and can cause more problems.  Trouble can start when  bad bacteria outnumbers the good bacteria in your stomach.  Only see your doctor if your symptoms keep coming back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.